I just wanna be a kid again…
If you’ve been following me on facebook, you know I’ve been talking about how nostalgic I am this week. I have been making a lot of my childhood favorites and the memories have come flooding back. Like my Mom’s Taco Salad or Chocolate Chip Cookies. Just like a certain smell or sound can trigger a memory – so does food. And it certainly has done that for me.
All the peanut butter!
And that brings me to one of my favorite childhood treats, Peanut Butter Rice Krispies treats. My Mom is a peanut butter nut (pun intended!) She loves peanut butter cookies and of course, she couldn’t pass up the chance to put peanut butter in Rice Krispies treats. When you grow up eating things a certain way, you just become accustomed to it. So now, this is the only way I like to eat them. I think my particular recipe for these is the absolute perfect balance between chewy and crunchy and peanut butter. So good!
Cook’s Note: If prefer a slightly thicker bar, go with an 8×8 baking dish. Also, for all you budget-conscious shoppers, I have made this recipe with the store brand cereal, marshmallows, butter and peanut butter and these treats still turn out delicious. And if you’re a Krispies treats purist (like my hubby), just leave out the peanut butter, they’ll still be gooey. As with all Rice Krispies treats, they are best eaten the day they are made. Store in airtight container if you don’t eat them all the same day. I like to nuke them in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds when they start getting a little stale.
Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 tbsp butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 5-¾ cups Rice Krispies
- Spray an 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a 4 quart sauce pan, melt butter on low heat.
- Do this slowly, you don’t want burned or brown butter here.
- Once butter has melted, keep heat on low and add mini marshmallows.
- Once marshmallows begin to soften and melt, add peanut butter.
- At this point, you will need to constantly stir the mixture so the peanut butter does not burn and the marshmallows can evenly melt (won’t take too long, about 5 minutes or so).
- Once, mixture is combined and melted, turn off heat and remove pan from stove.
- Add crisp rice cereal to sauce pan and stir until evenly coated with mixture.
- This is sticky stuff so do your best to get it all combined.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish (it will look very loose).
- Spray your hand with some nonstick cooking spray and pat down the mixture until firmly compacted. Allow 30-45 minutes for treats to set up.
If you prefer a slightly thicker bar, go with an 8 x 8 baking dish. And if you’re a Krispies treats purist (like my hubby), just leave out the peanut butter, they’ll still be gooey. As with all Rice Krispies treats, they are best eaten the day they are made. Store in airtight container if you don't eat them all the same day. I like to nuke them in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds when they start getting a little stale.