A favorite kid-friendly snack, these Peanut Butter Cheerio Balls are a fun, tasty and easy recipe that you can throw together quickly!
A TASTY KID-FRIENDLY SNACK
Do you have simple recipes that you know by heart and can make without a recipe card? This is one of those recipes for me. Probably because they are so simple to make like Rice Krispies Treats. I say these are a kid-friendly snack but honestly, they are loved and appreciated by us adults too. No oven required!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
I usually use Honey Nut Cheerios for this recipe as they add to the honey flavor in this recipe. But you can use pretty much any flavor you'd like that you think would go well with this recipe.
Yes. Or you can use silicone liners. I find that this is the best way to get them out of the muffin tin where they will not stick. You could spray the tin, but paper liners are the best bet and also help your hands from getting sticky.
We like to place these in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes to fully firm up. You can also place them in the freezer for a shorter time if you want to make the process quicker.
No. It just adds a contrasting flavor but you could use all Cheerios (5 cups total) or another cereal you enjoy in this recipe.
I do not recommend using natural peanut butter as it does not set up the same.
These can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator where they will keep for up to 4 days. They can also be frozen. Place in a freezer container or bag and they will keep for up to 2 months. You can eat frozen or defrost in the refrigerator overnight and then let come to room temperature.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- salted butter
- mini marshmallows
- smooth peanut butter
- Honey Nut Cheerios
- Golden Grahams cereal
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER CHEERIO BALLS:
Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt butter and marshmallows. Do it in 20 seconds intervals, mixing between each until marshmallows and butter are melted. Generally it takes about 80-90 seconds.
Add the honey and peanut butter.
Whisk until combined.
Add the Cheerios and the Golden Grahams.
Mix until coated with marshmallow mixture. Using a large cookie scoop (approximately 2 tablespoons) form the balls.
Place prepared balls into the cupcake liners. Then place the cupcake pan into the refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer to allow time to set. Or you can leave them out on the counter and they will be fully set in an hour or so.
Serve and enjoy!
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Peanut Butter Cheerio Balls
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- 2 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt butter and marshmallows. Do it in 20 seconds intervals, mixing between each until marshmallows and butter are melted. Generally it takes about 80-90 seconds.
- Add the honey and peanut butter. Whisk until all combined.
- Add the Cheerios and the Golden Grahams.
- Mix until all the cereal is coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Using a large cookie scoop (approximately 2 tablespoons) form the balls.
- Place them in the cupcake liners.
- Then put the cupcake pan in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or longer to allow time to set. Or let it sit on the counter for about an hour to set.
- You can use your favorite Cheerios.
- Omit the Golden Grahams if desired.
- These can be frozen, see my tips above.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.