Oreo Poke Cake is the recipe that started the poke cake rage! Chocolate cake mix, Oreo Pudding and whipped topping. So, so good!
OREO COOKIES, PUDDING AND CHOCOLATE CAKE
Since I started sharing poke cakes many years ago here on The Country Cook, they have been some of my most popular recipes. And for good reason! They are easy to make but aren't your usual cake and frosting recipes. Poke cakes have a little surprise inside!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Just use a vanilla pudding and add finely crushed Oreos on top of the pudding after you've pushed it down into the cake holes.
You certainly could but just remember that homemade whipped cream doesn't stay stabilized for as long as Cool Whip.
Of course. You can really switch this recipe up and have a lot of fun with the flavors. Mint Oreos would be delicious!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- chocolate cake mix
- ingredients needed to make cake (eggs, oil and water)
- Instant Oreo pudding mix
- whipped topping
- Oreo cookies
HOW TO MAKE OREO POKE CAKE:
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Make cake mix according to package directions. Bake cake according to times on the back of the box.
When cake is finished, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then poke holes all over cake (about 1-inch) intervals using a wooden spoon handle.
In a medium bowl, add milk to pudding mixture and whisk until most of the lumps are removed. There will be a few lumps in the pudding because of the Oreo pieces that are in the pudding. Whisk for about 1-2 minutes until pudding just starts to thicken. You want it to thicken slightly so it isn't overly runny but not fully thickened into pudding.
Pour pudding mixture over warm cake, making sure to aim for the holes.
Spread it out with a spoon and gently push down on the pudding to help get it into the holes.
Spread whipped topping on top of pudding layer. Then put the cake in the refrigerator to allow it to cool completely (about an hour). When ready, crush about 6-8 Oreo cookies (I just put them in a Ziploc bag and bang at it with my rolling pin).
Sprinkle the top of the cake with the crushed Oreos.
Slice and serve! Keep cake refrigerated.
CRAVING MORE POKE CAKE RECIPES?
Originally published: July 2011
Updated & republished: June 2021
Oreo Poke Cake (+Video)
- 15.25 ounce box chocolate cake mix
- (ingredients needed to make cake - eggs, oil and water)
- 2 (4 ounce) packages Instant Oreo pudding
- 3 cups milk, 2% or higher
- 8 ounce tub whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed
- crushed Oreo cookies, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Make cake mix according to package directions and bake in a well-greased 9x13-inch pan. Bake cake according to times on the back of the box.
- When cake is finished, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then poke holes all over cake (about 1-inch intervals) using a wooden spoon handle.
- In a medium bowl, add milk to pudding mixture and whisk until most of the lumps are removed. There will be a few lumps in the pudding because of the Oreo pieces that are in the pudding.
- Pour pudding mixture over cake making sure to aim for the holes.
- Spread it out with a spoon and gently push down on the pudding to help get it into the holes.
- Then put the cake in the refrigerator to allow it to cool completely. About an hour.
- Spread whipped topping on top of pudding layer.
- Once it is set, top with crushed Oreo cookies. Slice then serve.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.