Disclosure: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Martha White. The opinions and text are all mine.
Who else is gearing up for the holiday season? Man oh man, I just love this time of year. Now that we are finally in a house of our own (and not renting), I am really excited to decorate my house this year. I’ve always decorated but it just seems special to me that after 17 years of marriage and many military moves, we are finally settled in a home that we own. And I think that’s worth decking the halls for!
I love when my friends stop by when they have some time. This is the time of year you like to have people come on in, sit down, get warm, have some coffee or tea and chat the day away. Now, I’m not always on top of my grocery shopping but I still like to have a little something for my friends to nibble on when they come over. So, this brings me to my point: a well-stocked pantry!
I’m actually getting a little better at this and figuring out what are good items to always have on hand. With pantry items, you don’t have to worry about refrigeration or panicking over too-soon expiration dates. I keep a number of canned goods on hand like soups, pickles, spaghetti sauce and canned vegetables. And there are other staples like rice, pasta and dried beans. Of course, I gotta have my sweet stuff like jams, jellies, canned pie fillings, cake and muffin mixes.
Apple Surprise Cake
Let me tell ya, you can do a lot with those little mixes with very little effort. I’m going to show you a super easy recipe that you can whip up without running to the grocery store but will still wow your guests. Just keep some of these Martha White muffin mixes as part of your pantry items and you’ll be set! Or heck, just whip up some muffins with them! Warm muffins right out of the oven, mmmm there’s nothing like it.
Plus, it makes your house smell so amazing and inviting as they bake in the oven. Oh, and right now Martha White has introduced two new flavors, Apple Cider and Pumpkin Spice. Oh my gracious, just wait till you start whipping up the batter, it smells SO good! My family can’t get enough of them. So let’s get to this super simple cake and you’ll see what the “surprise” is. Trust me, folks will be drooling when you cut into this!
2 packages Martha White Apple Cider or Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix
1 cup milk
1 can apple pie filling
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
Apple Surprise Cake
For the cake:
- 2 packets Martha White Apple Cider Muffin Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 21 oz can apple pie filling
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon optional
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray bundt pan (really well) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix up one packet of muffin mix according to packet directions (adding 1/2 cup milk) and stir until combined well. Batter will be lumpy.
- Pour batter into the bottom of the bundt pan.
- Keep out that mixing bowl, you'll use it again in a minute.
- Open can of apple pie filling.
- Take a sharp knife and make slicing motions to cut apples while still inside the can. You want them in about 1/2-inch size pieces.
- Spread the pie filling evenly on top of the first layer of batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Now, make the second packet of muffin mix according to package directions.
- Again, adding 1/2 cup milk and stirring until combine.
- Add this final layer of batter on top of the apple pie filling layer.
- Spread evenly.
- Place baking pan in the center rack and bake for about 50-60 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- Carefully invert it on a plate. Make icing and drizzle over the top.