This Apple Surprise Cake recipe is made with an apple muffin mix with a surprise apple pie filling that is seen only when the cake is cut!
Disclosure: This was a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Martha White. The opinions and text are all mine.
APPLE SURPRISE CAKE
This easy Apple Surprise Cake will makes your house smell so amazing and inviting as it bake sin the oven. Oh my gracious, just wait till you start whipping up the batter, it smells SO good! If you’re digging through your pantry and try to figure out an easy dessert to make, you probably have all these items sitting around and ready to use!
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
WAYS TO USE PANTRY ITEMS
I’m actually getting a little better at this and figuring out what are good items to always have on hand. With pantry items, you don’t have to worry about refrigeration or panicking over too-soon expiration dates. I keep a number of canned goods on hand like soups, pickles, spaghetti sauce and canned vegetables. And there are other staples like rice, pasta and dried beans. Of course, I gotta have my sweet stuff like jams, jellies, canned pie fillings, cake and muffin mixes. Now, let’s make this delicious cake!
2 packages Martha White Apple Cider or Apple Cinnamon Muffin Mix
1 cup milk
1 can apple pie filling
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
for the icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp. milk
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY APPLE SURPRISE CAKE:
Originally published: November 2014
Updated & republished: April 2020
EASY APPLE SURPRISE CAKE
For the cake:
- 2 packets Martha White Apple Cider Muffin Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 21 oz can apple pie filling
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon optional
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray bundt pan (really well) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix up one packet of muffin mix according to packet directions (adding 1/2 cup milk) and stir until combined well. Batter will be lumpy.
- Pour batter into the bottom of the bundt pan.
- Keep out that mixing bowl, you'll use it again in a minute.
- Open can of apple pie filling.
- Take a sharp knife and make slicing motions to cut apples while still inside the can. You want them in about 1/2-inch size pieces.
- Spread the pie filling evenly on top of the first layer of batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Now, make the second packet of muffin mix according to package directions.
- Again, adding 1/2 cup milk and stirring until combine.
- Add this final layer of batter on top of the apple pie filling layer.
- Spread evenly.
- Place baking pan in the center rack and bake for about 50-60 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- Carefully invert it on a plate. Make icing and drizzle over the top.