Ground Beef Recipes
I’m really happy to be bringing y’all another ground beef recipe. One thing that makes me happy is when I get get ground beef on sale. I may have had to buy it in a big 5 pound tube, but hey, I own a freezer. I’ll put it to good use. Maybe next time I’ll find a good sale on the leaner ground beef too. And I also got tubes of Gwaltney Pork Sausage for a dollar. It’s the little things that make me happy these days. You gotta stop and appreciate the small stuff that can make you happy. We won’t be getting any new cars anytime soon, or a new house, or a fancy cruise. But gosh darnit, I can get ground beef for cheap…sometimes.
A great way to use ground beef is to make meatloaf. I love a good meatloaf. And if you like meatloaf, chances are you like a good meatloaf sandwich too. That is where the inspiration for this recipe came from. It’s kinda like an old-fashioned tuna melt but with a meatloaf filling. You got your toasted bun, meatloaf filling, and then topped off with melted cheese. Humble. Filling. Yummy.
4 sub rolls (6-inch)
1 pound lean ground beef (at least 90% lean)
1 1/4 cups crushed saltine crackers
1/2 small onion, minced
1/2 cup milk
4 tbsp. ketchup (plus more for topping)
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt & pepper to taste (about a tsp. each)
It’s best just to get in there with your clean hands and combine the mixture. Top buns with meat mixture.
Spread additional ketchup on top of meat mixture (as much or as little as you like).
Put in oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes (until meat registers 160F degrees.) Take them out and add shredded cheese on top. I used a mixture of cheeses here; cheddar, monterey jack & colby.
- 4 sub rolls
- 1 pound lean ground beef at least 90% lean
- 1 1/4 cups crushed plain corn flakes or saltine crackers
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small onion minced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp ketchup plus more for topping
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- tsp salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- Split rolls in half (lengthwise).
- Put on baking sheet and bake rolls for about 2-3 minutes until toasted and golden.
- This initial toasting is optional.
- In a medium bowl, begin preparing your meatloaf mixture.
- Combine ground beef, crushed corn flakes (or crackers), egg, onion, milk, 4 tbsp. ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- It's best just to get in there with your clean hands and combine the mixture
- Once buns are toasted, top with meat mixture.
- Spread additional ketchup on top of meat mixture (as much or as little as you like).
- Put in oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes (until meat registers 160F degrees).
- Take them out and add shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.