Momma’s Best Meatloaf recipe is full of flavor and is moist and scrumptious! It’s simple to make and comes out perfect every time!
THE BEST MEATLOAF RECIPE
I think most folks at some point in their lives have had either great experiences with meatloaf or really bad ones. Maybe the meatloaf was a tad dry or maybe it tasted like a lump of beef and nothing else. Don’t worry, I am about to change your mind about any of your bad meatloaf experiences! This meatloaf recipe is not only delicious and flavorful, it is most definitely not dry!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST MEATLOAF:
80/20 or 85/15 are going to be your most flavorful ground beef for the recipe. You can certainly use a leaner meat but you sacrifice some flavor by having less fat.
Yes you can. Turkey is very lean though so you obviously are not going to get anywhere near the flavor as you would with a fattier ground beef.
This is normal. It should look like that and will help this meatloaf come out super moist and tender!
Store bought bread crumbs soak up a lot of moisture in the meatloaf. I really don’t recommend using them in baked meatloaf (it’s a bit different in a slow cooker meatloaf). Sliced bread is a great filler without it soaking up all the moisture from the meatloaf. If you insist on using breadcrumbs, I would use panko breadcrumbs.
Yes. This can be made in a loaf pan (with about the same cooking time.) Cooking it on a sheet pan helps some of the fat spread away from the meat.
I converted this same recipe for the Instant Pot too!
Yes! Head over to my Air Fryer Meatloaf recipe on how to do that.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef (80/20 works good)
- sliced bread
- Worcestershire sauce
- onion powder
- salt and black pepper
- dry ground mustard
- garlic powder
HOW TO MAKE MOMMA’S MEATLOAF:
Heat oven to 350F degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (except ketchup.)
Don’t be afraid to get in there with your hands – they work best.
Spread mixture into an ungreased loaf pan or shape into a loaf on a sheet pan.
Spread ketchup on top of meatloaf.
Cook for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes (or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.)
Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Originally published: August 2011
Updated & republished: December 2019
Momma’s Meatloaf (+Video)
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 slices bread, torn up into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ Tablespoon onion powder (or 1/2 cup finely chopped onion)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup ketchup
- Heat oven to 350F degrees. Combine 1 pound ground beef, 3/4 cup milk, 1 large egg, 3 slices bread, torn up into small pieces, 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, ½ Tablespoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon hot sauce and ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder in a large bowl.
- Shape into a loaf onto a sheet pan.
- Spread ½ cup ketchup on top of meatloaf.
- Cook for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes (or until a meat thermometer reads 160F degrees).
- Let stand for 5 minutes then serve.
- This can be made in a loaf pan with about the same cooking time.
- Try adding 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce to the ketchup topping for a slightly smoky flavor.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.