Meatloaf Patty Melt is an open-faced meatloaf sandwich with melted cheese on top. Made up of flavorful ground beef on a toasted bun!
AN OLD-FASHIONED DINER MEAL
I love a good meatloaf. And if you like MEATLOAF, chances are you like a good meatloaf sandwich too. That is where the inspiration for this recipe Meatloaf Patty Melt came from. It's kinda like an old-fashioned tuna melt but with a meatloaf filling. You got your toasted bun, meatloaf filling, and then topped off with melted cheese. Humble. Filling. Yummy.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST MEATLOAF MELTS:
- For this recipe I think it's best to use a leaner meat. If your beef has too much fat, it will drip into the bun and may cause it to be soggy.
- Don't have crackers? Use plain, crushed corn flakes!
- Want a crunchier bun? Toast the buns slightly before topping with meatloaf mixture.
- This is great served with French fries or even chips!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- sub rolls
- lean ground beef
- crushed saltine crackers
- small onion
- Worcestershire sauce
- dried thyme
- garlic powder
- shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE MEATLOAF PATTY MELTS:
Preheat oven to 450F degrees. Split rolls in half (lengthwise.) Place rolls on baking sheet and set aside.
In a medium bowl, begin preparing the meatloaf mixture. Combine ground beef, crushed crackers, egg, onion, milk, 4 tablespoons ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
It's best just to get in there with your clean hands and combine the mixture. Top buns with meat mixture.
Spread additional ketchup on top of meat mixture (as much or as little as you like).
Put in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes (until meat registers 160F degrees.) Take them out and add shredded cheese on top.
Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. And serve with your favorite sides. You can eat this with your hands. Or a knife and fork!
CRAVING MORE? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
MEATLOAF PATTY MELT
- 4 (6-inch) sub rolls
- 1 pound lean ground beef at least 90% lean
- 1 ¼ cups saltine crackers
- 1 egg
- ½ small onion minced
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoon ketchup plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- teaspoon salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees. Split rolls in half (lengthwise). Put on baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, crushed crackers, egg, onion, milk, 4 tbsp. ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Top each bun-half with meat mixture (spreading it out evenly amongst all the buns.)
- Spread additional ketchup on top of meat mixture (as much or as little as you like).
- Put in oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes (until meat registers 160F degrees).
- Take them out and add shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
Originally published: February 2012
Updated & republished: September 2020
Recipe Inspiration: Cook's Country