Meatloaf Patty Melt is an open-faced meatloaf sandwich with melted cheese on top. Made up of flavorful ground beef on a toasted bun!
MEATLOAF PATTY MELTS
I love a good meatloaf. And if you like MEATLOAF, chances are you like a good meatloaf sandwich too. That is where the inspiration for this recipe Meatloaf Patty Melt came from. It's kinda like an old-fashioned tuna melt but with a meatloaf filling. You got your toasted bun, meatloaf filling, and then topped off with melted cheese. Humble. Filling. Yummy.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST MEATLOAF MELTS:
- For this recipe I think it's best to use a leaner meat. If your beef has too much fat, it will drip into the bun and may cause it to be soggy.
- Don't have crackers? Use plain, crushed corn flakes!
- Want a crunchier bun? Toast the buns slightly before topping with meatloaf mixture.
- This is great served with French fries or even chips!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
lean ground beef (at least 90% lean)
crushed saltine crackers
shredded cheddar cheese
salt & pepper, to taste (about a tsp. each)
HOW TO MAKE THIS MEATLOAF PATTY MELT RECIPE:
CRAVING MORE? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
MEATLOAF PATTY MELT
- 4 (6-inch) sub rolls
- 1 pound lean ground beef at least 90% lean
- 1 ¼ cups saltine crackers
- 1 egg
- ½ small onion minced
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tbsp ketchup plus more for topping
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- tsp salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees. Split rolls in half (lengthwise). Put on baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, crushed crackers, egg, onion, milk, 4 tbsp. ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Top each bun-half with meat mixture (spreading it out evenly amongst all the buns.)
- Spread additional ketchup on top of meat mixture (as much or as little as you like).
- Put in oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes (until meat registers 160F degrees).
- Take them out and add shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
Originally published: February 2012
Updated & republished: September 2020
Recipe Inspiration: Cook's Country