For this recipe I think it’s best to use a leaner meat. If your beef has too much fat, it will drip into the bun and may cause it to be soggy.
Lovely, toasted buns.
Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
And serve with your favorite sides.
You can eat this with your hands. Or a knife and fork like me.
- 4 inch sub rolls 6-
- 1 pound lean ground beef at least 90% lean
- 1 1/4 cups crushed plain corn flakes or saltine crackers
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small onion minced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp . ketchup plus more for topping
- 1 tbsp . Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp . dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp . garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- tsp salt & pepper to taste about a . each
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- Split rolls in half (lengthwise).
- Put on baking sheet and bake rolls for about 2-3 minutes until toasted and golden.
- This initial toasting is optional.
- In a medium bowl, begin preparing your meatloaf mixture.
- Combine ground beef, crushed corn flakes (or crackers), egg, onion, milk, 4 tbsp. ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- It's best just to get in there with your clean hands and combine the mixture
- Once buns are toasted, top with meat mixture.
- Spread additional ketchup on top of meat mixture (as much or as little as you like).
- Put in oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes (until meat registers 160F degrees).
- Take them out and add shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.