Meatball Sub Casserole is a super easy casserole dish that tastes like a meatball sub but in casserole form. So good and a family favorite!
MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE RECIPE
This delicious casserole recipe comes from the latest Gooseberry Patch cookbook, 101 Cozy Casseroles. I've been in Gooseberry Patch heaven with all the new cookbooks that have been coming out. Each recipe in this cookbook comes with a picture. So if you're a visual person, this is perfect.
TIPS FOR MAKING MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE:
- Homemade meatballs can be used in this dish; however, you want them to be fully cooked before adding them to this dish. This is a family friendly meal and using the pre-made meatballs really makes this quick to make.
- I would definitely serve this with a salad. Perhaps a big, green salad full of veggies and maybe topped with my COPYCAT OLIVE GARDEN ITALIAN DRESSING! And for dessert, how about some NO BAKE STRAWBERRY TIRAMISU?
- For a softer casserole, don't toast the bread first. For a more firm casserole, toast the french bread slices first.
- For a twist, try using garlic Texas toast rather than the Italian bread.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
HOW TO MAKE MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Arrange bread slices in a single layer in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish. Note:After making this a few times (because we love it!) I recommend toasting the bread first.Just fill in any gaps with smaller bits of bread. I did have a couple slices of bread leftover since my loaf of Italian bread was pretty wide. I used those extra slices to make some garlic bread to serve with this. In a bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and seasonings. Spread mixture over bread slices.Gently mix together spaghetti sauce and meatballs. Spoon over cheese.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS? GIVE THESE A TRY!
MEATBALL SUB ON A STICK
EASY BAKED ZITI
PEPPERONI PIZZA PASTA SALAD
EASY PIZZA PASTA BAKE
40 BEST BACK-TO-SCHOOL RECIPES
EASY SLOW COOKER TORTELLINI & MEATBALLS
INSTANT POT ITALIAN STUFFED PEPPERS
ITALIAN TORTELLINI SKILLET DINNER
CROCK POT MEATBALL STROGANOFF
CROCK POT SWEET & SOUR MEATBALLS
MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided use
- 1 pkg. fully cooked frozen meatballs thawed
- 1 (28 oz) jar pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Arrange bread slices in a single layer in an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish. Fill in any gabs with pieces of bread. Note: I recommend toasting the bread first. You can place the dish into the oven (on the broiler setting) and toast both sides. It should only take a minute or two.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and seasonings.
- Spread mixture over bread slices.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Gently mix together spaghetti sauce and meatballs.
- Spoon over cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
Originally published: May 2012
Updated & Republished: January 2020