Meatball Sub Casserole is a super easy casserole dish that tastes like a meatball sub but in casserole form. So good and a family favorite!
MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE RECIPE
Raise your hand if you love meatball subs? Now how would you like to take all those flavors you love about a meatball sub and turn it into a casserole? Well, here ya go folks. This was the best tasting casserole I have had in a while. Not only was it super easy to make but the flavors blended so well together.
TIPS FOR MAKING MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE:
- Homemade meatballs can be used in this dish; however, you want them to be fully cooked before adding them to this dish. This is a family friendly meal and using the pre-made meatballs really makes this quick to make.
- I would definitely serve this with a salad. Perhaps a big, green salad full of veggies and maybe topped with my COPYCAT OLIVE GARDEN ITALIAN DRESSING! And for dessert, how about some NO BAKE STRAWBERRY TIRAMISU?
- For a softer casserole, don't toast the bread first. For a more firm casserole, toast the french bread slices first.
- For a twist, try using garlic Texas toast rather than the Italian bread.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- Italian bread
- cream cheese
- Italian seasoning
- shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- frozen meatballs
- pasta sauce
HOW TO MAKE MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Arrange bread slices in a single layer in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish. Note:After making this a few times (because we love it!) I recommend toasting the bread first. Just fill in any gaps with smaller bits of bread. I did have a couple slices of bread leftover since my loaf of Italian bread was pretty wide. I used those extra slices to make some garlic bread to serve with this.
In a bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and seasonings. Spread mixture over bread slices. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
Gently mix together spaghetti sauce and meatballs. Spoon this mixture the over cheese layer.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
Serve with a salad.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS? GIVE THESE A TRY!
MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese softened to room temerature
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided use
- 1 fully cooked frozen meatballs thawed
- 1 (28 oz) jar pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Arrange bread slices in a single layer in an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish. Fill in any gaps with pieces of bread.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and seasonings.
- Spread mixture over bread slices.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Gently mix together spaghetti sauce and meatballs.
- Spoon over cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
- For a firmer bread base, I recommend toasting the bread first. You can place the dish into the oven (on the broiler setting) and toast both sides. It should only take a minute or two.
- Note: frozen meatball packages come in varying sizes - anywhere from 18 ounces to 32 ounces. This recipe will accommodate most of those sizes. As long as you are grabbing a standard size bag and not a family size bag, it will work.
Originally published: May 2012
Updated & Republished: January 2020