Hamburger Steaks and Gravy are made with seasoned ground beef patties, peppers, onion and are simmered in a deliously thick brown gravy!
HAMBURGER STEAKS AND GRAVY
Many of you might be more familiar with these being called "Salisbury Steaks." It really is pretty much all the same thing. Any type of shaped ground beef mixture that is cooked in gravy often has several names. The other name I hear often is "Poor Man's Steaks."
I love any kind of ground beef patties with gravy. Another one of my faves is my HAMBURGER STEAKS WITH TOMATO GRAVY. It really adds a wonderful twist to this classic dish. This SLOW COOKER SALISBURY STEAK is a super simple way to make it in your crock pot too.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH HAMBURGER STEAKS AND GRAVY?
There are a lot of options here. My favorite way to serve these are with my CROCK POT MILLION DOLLAR MASHED POTATOES. But it also goes great with rice or egg noodles!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR HAMBURGER STEAKS: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- crackers (or bread crumbs)
- green pepper, diced
- yellow onion
- Worcestershire Sauce
- salt & pepper
- brown gravy packet
- french onion soup (low sodium)
- cream of chicken soup (low sodium)
HOW TO MAKE HAMBURGER STEAKS AND GRAVY:
In a bowl, combine ingredients for patties. It’s best to just get in there with your hands to make sure it is combined together well. Heat sauté pan (or cast iron skillet) on medium-high heat. Begin forming hamburger steaks into an oval shape (this recipe makes 4.) If you aren’t using a nonstick skillet, you may want to spray pan with nonstick spray.
Place patties onto preheated pan. Brown both sides. You aren’t going to cook them all the way through. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.
Take browned patties out of pan and set aside. Add all the gravy ingredients to the pan and whisk together well to remove most of the lumps. Photo below is the packet of brown gravy mix.
then French onion soup
and cream of chicken soup
It will take a minute or two of whisking to get most of the lumps out.
Add patties back to pan.
Spoon a bit of the gravy over the tops of the patties.
Cover and turn heat down to a lower setting.
Let cook for another 10 minutes or so until cooked all the way through.
CRAVING MORE? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
Hamburger Steaks and Gravy
For the patties:
- 1 pound ground beef
- ⅓ cup crushed crackers (or bread crumbs)
- 1 egg
- ½ green pepper, finely diced
- ½ small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the gravy:
- 1 packet brown gravy
- 1 (10.5 oz) can French onion soup
- 1 (10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom)
- ¼ cup water
- In a bowl, combine ingredients for patties.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (or saute pan) on medium-high heat.
- Begin forming hamburger steaks into an oval shape (this recipe makes 4).
- Place patties into preheated pan. They should sizzle.
- Brown both sides. You aren’t going to cook them all the way through yet. We want a really good browning on both sides. This gives great flavor!
- Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side. Take browned patties out of pan and set aside.
- Add all the gravy ingredients to the pan and whisk together well to remove most of the lumps. It will take a minute or two of whisking.
- Add patties back to pan. Cover and turn heat down to a lower setting.
- Let cook for another 10 minutes or so until no longer pink in the middle and the internal temperature of the beef has reached 160F degrees. Then serve
- If you don't like French Onion Soup you can substitute with beef broth.