Butter Crumble Apple Pie
1 (9-inch pie) premade pie crust or Make Your Own
For the filling:
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. For those of you not really familiar with all the variety of apples. I’m using Granny Smith (green apples). They are more tart than red apples and they hold up better in baked goods. Unlike red apples, that can turn a bit mushy while baking.
Peel the apples and then just cut down four sides of the apples, then thinly slice them. Or use an apple peeler and corer. Discard the apple cores, or better yet, put them in your compost bin. Put your sliced apples in a bowl.
Toss in flour, sugar and ground cinnamon. Give it all a good stir to make sure all the apple slices are thoroughly coated.
I definitely recommend using my recipe for Wham Bam Pie Crust for this pie. After I make it, I keep it in the fridge while I’m making the filling.
I don’t know about y’all but I think pies taste even better the day after they are made. I think it helps the filling really set up. So this is a great pie to make the day before you actually need it.
- 1 9-inch pre-made pie crust or Make Your Own
- 6 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 8 tbsp butter (1 stick) room temperature
- If using the Wham Bam Pie crust, make that first and then pop the crust in the fridge while making the filling.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- In a bowl, combine sliced apples with flour, sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Give it all a good stir to make sure all the apple slices are thoroughly coated.
- Put apple filling into the pie crust.
- Making sure you spread it out and all the apple pieces are lying flat.
- To make the crumble, in a bowl, combine, flour and sugar. Then add in softened butter.
- Using a large fork, combine the flour mixture with the butter until it looks crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture all over the top of the pie.
- Bake in the center rack of your oven for about 45 minutes until apples are soft and top is golden brown.
If using the Wham Bam Pie crust, make that first and then pop the crust in the fridge while making the filling.