Butter Crumble Apple Pie is hands-down the best apple pie recipe. An easy, flaky crust, amazing filling and butter crumble topping!
BUTTER CRUMBLE APPLE PIE
I love to eat pies and I like to make pies. And I love when I actually have the time to do up one from scratch. We go apple picking every year and I look forward to making an apple pie. But for me, I don't like my pies to be too hard or too fussy to make. Simple is the always the key word here. An easy, and simple apple pie recipe. Nothing fancy. No specialty ingredients. The apples are the star here. Just give yourself time and patience to make it
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Green apples hold up best to the baking process. Pretty much most tart apples will work. Sweet apples will soften and break down too much and don't create a good apple pie.
Absolutely! You can use what you feel comfortable with here. See my recipe for WHAM BAM PIE CRUST for a super easy homemade pie crust.
No problem! You can make a simple lattice crust topping or just layer on another single layer of pie crust. See my HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY PIE recipe for instructions on how to do that.
You can purchase apple pie spice. It usually has a blend of ingredients that includes: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cardamom.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- pre-made pie crust or MAKE YOUR OWN
- Granny Smith apples
- all-purpose flour
- ground cinnamon
- salted butter
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST APPLE PIE:
Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Peel the apples and then just cut down four sides of the apples, then thinly slice them. Or use an apple peeler and corer. Discard the apple cores, or better yet, put them in your compost bin. Put your sliced apples in a bowl.
Toss in flour, sugar and ground cinnamon. Give it all a good stir to make sure all the apple slices are thoroughly coated.
I definitely recommend using my recipe for WHAM BAM PIE CRUST for this pie. After I make it, I keep it in the fridge while I'm making the filling.
Put apple filling into the pie crust. Making sure you spread it out and all the apple pieces are lying flat.
Now, time to make the crumble. In a bowl, combine, flour and sugar. Then add in softened butter. Using a large fork, combine the flour mixture with the butter until it looks crumbly.
Sprinkle the crumble mixture all over the top of the pie.
Bake in the center rack of your oven for about 45 minutes until apples are soft and top is golden brown.
I don't know about y'all but I think pies taste even better the day after they are made. I think it helps the filling really set up. So this is a great pie to make the day before you actually need it.
Slice (and if necessary warm each slice in the microwave for a few seconds) and serve with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
CRAVING MORE? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
- CROCK POT APPLE CRISP WITH WARM VANILLA SAUCE
- EASY APPLE PIE CUPS
- APPLE SLAB PIE
- BEST SOUTHERN PECAN PIE
- HOMEMADE KEY LIME PIE
- NO-BAKE APPLE PIE
- APPLE SPICE PIECAKEN
- THE BEST BANOFFEE PIE
- CROCK POT PECAN PIE
- EASY PUMPKIN PIE BARS
BUTTER CRUMBLE APPLE PIE
- 1 9-inch pre-made pie crust or Make Your Own
For the filling:
- 6 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the butter crumble topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 8 tablespoon butter (1 stick) room temperature
- If using a refrigerated pie crust, spread it into your pie pan and crimp the edges and set aside.
For the pie:
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- In a bowl, combine sliced apples with flour, sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Give it all a good stir to make sure all the apple slices are thoroughly coated.
- Put apple filling into the pie crust.
- Making sure you spread it out and all the apple pieces are lying flat.
For the crumble topping:
- To make the crumble, in a bowl, combine, flour and sugar. Then add in softened butter.
- Using a large fork or pastry cutter, combine the flour mixture with the butter until it looks crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture all over the top of the pie.
- Bake in the center rack of your oven for about 45 minutes until apples are soft and top is golden brown.