Deliciously tart and sweet, this Homemade Key Lime Pie uses simple ingredients to make the most scrumptious summer pie recipe!
A DELICIOUS SUMMER PIE RECIPE
I absolutely adore a Homemade Key Lime Pie, there is something about the yin and the yang of tartness and sweetness that makes a key lime pie work. You gotta get the balance just right though! I have been making this pie for years now since visiting Key West. I taste-tested a lot of pies in Key West to come up with (what I think) is the perfect Key Lime Pie recipe! This pie is sure to get eaten fast when you serve it!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Not every produce department carries key limes. If they do, they will usually have a sign with the name of the fruit so it's easy to identify. However, you can tell the difference between the two because key limes are smaller than limes. They sometimes have a lighter color than regular limes as well.
Fresh really is best here. There truly is nothing like it and because it is the star of the show, you want it to have the most authentic flavor and bottled juices just don't give you that. If you can't find key limes, then just go with regular limes. It will still taste much better than bottled lime juice.
There is bottled key lime juice that you can buy (made by Nellie & Joe) that you could use if you really insist. Again, I've tasted it and don't really love it. I would rather use fresh limes if I couldn't find key limes.
If you want to substitute the sour cream for something a little healthier you can go with plain non-fat Greek Yogurt.
If you want to cut some time then yes you can use a pre-made graham cracker crust for this recipe!
Yes. To get the right texture and for it to set up properly, you will want to chill your Key Lime Pie for at least 3 hours.
Stored covered with plastic wrap, Key Lime Pie will keep for up 2-3 days in the refrigerator. This can also be frozen. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil and it will keep for up to 1 month. To defrost just remove to the refrigerator overnight.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- graham cracker crumbs
- granulated sugar
- salted butter
- fresh key lime juice
- key lime zest
- sweetened condensed milk
- sour cream
- egg yolks
- whipped cream, optional
- lime slices, optional
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE KEY LIME PIE:
Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Prepare the crust adding the graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and butter to bowl.
Mix together until combined.
Press it into a 9-inch pie plate and bake the crust for 10 minute, remove and set aside.
Make the filling by adding key lime juice, key lime zest, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and egg yolks to a bowl.
Using a hand mixer, blend together the mixture until combined.
Pour the filling into the crust.
Bake the pie for 15 minutes. (Filling should be almost set).
Once the pie has cooled to room temperature, chill for 3 hours or more.
Decorate with whipped cream and slices of lime if desired.
Slice and enjoy!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
- EASY KEY LIME POKE CAKE
- EASY HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY PIE
- OREO COOKIE PIE
- STRAWBERRY KOOL AID PIE
- THE BEST CROCK POT PECAN PIE
- GRANDMA'S BEST OATMEAL PIE
- BROWN SUGAR PUMPKIN PIE
- BUTTER CRUMBLE APPLE PIE
- THE BEST SOUTHERN PECAN PIE
HOMEMADE KEY LIME PIE
- 1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoon salted butter melted
- 1 cup fresh key lime juice about 9-10 limes
- 2 tablespoon key lime zest
- 2 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 egg yolks
- Whipped cream and lime slices optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare the crust by combining the graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and butter.
- Press it into a 9-inch pie plate and bake the crust for 10 minute, remove and set aside.
- Make the filling by adding key lime juice, key lime zest, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and egg yolks to a bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, blend together the mixture until combined..
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes. (Filling should be almost set)
- Once the pie has cooled to room temperature, chill for 3 hours or more.
- Decorate with whipped cream and slices of lime, if desired.
- If you can't find key limes, regular lime juice and zest will work.
- This pie can be frozen for up to 1 month.
- If you want to cut time you can use a pre-made graham cracker crust.
- If you are not a fan of sour cream, you can substitute with plain non-fat greek yogurt.