The Best Southern Pecan Pie is made with a flaky pie crust, real butter, dark corn syrup, a touch of cinnamon and fresh pecans.
BEST SOUTHERN PECAN PIE
WHAT IS THE BEST PIE CRUST TO USE FOR PECAN PIE?
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST PECAN PIE:
- Don’t over-bake. You don’t want burnt pecans on top. They will taste bitter and ruin the taste of the pie. If necessary, cover the pie with some aluminum foil.
- The pie will still be a little jiggly when you pull it out of the oven. It will continue to bake slightly even after you remove it from the oven.
- The dark corn syrup in this recipe really adds such a great flavor because of the molasses that is in dark corn syrup. It’s not so sweet that you think you might break a tooth. You can substitute with light corn syrup though if it’s all you have.
- The touch of ground cinnamon is that little ingredient that really brightens the other flavors up a bit. You don’t really taste it as a separate ingredient.
frozen pie crust, or MAKE YOUR OWN
chopped pecans (or pecan halves)
dark corn syrup
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SOUTHERN PECAN PIE:
Originally published: May 2012
Updated and republished: November 2019
BEST SOUTHERN PECAN PIE
- 1 (9-inch) frozen pie crust or make your own
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or pecan halves
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp salted butter melted
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Take frozen pie crust out of the freezer and place it on a baking sheet while preparing the filling.
- Or, if you are using the Wham Bam pie crust, prepare the crust, prick it with a few holes using a fork, and then stick it in the refrigerator while preparing filling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together beaten eggs, sugar, melted butter, corn syrup, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
- Place the pecans into the bottom of your pie crust.
- Then pour the filling on top of the pecans.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes.
- Around the 20 minute mark, you may want to add some aluminum foil on top of and around the edges of your pie crust to keep it from getting too browned.
- Oven times do vary, but basically, the middle of the pie should be just a tad jiggly when done (not overly jiggly) and the center will puff up a bit.
WANT MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS? BE SURE TO CHECK THESE OUT!
CROCK POT PECAN PIE
PECAN PIE MUFFINS
SHONEY’S STRAWBERRY PIE
HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE PIE
HOMEMADE BANANA PUDDING PIE
SOUTHERN FUDGE PIE
MINI CHERRY CHEESECAKE PIES
BUTTER CRUMBLE APPLE PIE