Southern Pecan Pie Bars are a delicious twist on the classic pecan pie, with a buttery shortbread crust and a rich and nutty filling that is sure to please any dessert lover!
HOMEMADE PECAN BARS WITH A SHORTBREAD CRUST
Southern Pecan Pie Bars with a Shortbread Crust is a delicious dessert that combines the classic flavors of pecan pie with a buttery shortbread crust. The crust is made from a mixture of flour, sugar, and butter, which is baked until golden brown and crisp. The filling is made from a mixture of pecans, brown sugar, corn syrup and eggs which is poured over the shortbread crust and baked until set. The result is a sweet and nutty treat that is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a holiday gathering or a casual dessert with friends and family!
TIPS FOR MAKING PECAN PIE BARS:
- Want to mix some sweet and salty? Try adding a little bit of crushed, salted pretzels. It really makes a tasty combination.
- Do not use a smaller baking pan. This recipe is tested in a 9×9-inch pan. If you use a smaller pan, the filling won’t set up properly and will be runny.
- Also, if you want a deeper flavor, try using a dark corn syrup or dark brown sugar. It adds a deeper, molasses flavor to the bars.
- Allow these to cool COMPLETELY before slicing or else the filling won’t be set up an thick like you want. The filling will need additional time to set up as it cools. I recommend popping them in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- If you like to eat pecan pie warm, then just put a slice on a plate and microwave for a few seconds.
- Don’t want to take up precious holiday oven space, try making my Crock Pot Pecan Pie.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- salted butter
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- chopped pecans
- light brown sugar
- light corn syrup
HOW TO MAKE PECAN PIE BARS:
Preheat oven to 300F degrees. Line the bottom of an 9×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper. In a small bowl, mix butter, sugar, vanilla, and flour until you have a thick, sticky dough.
Press into the bottom of prepared baking dish in a single thin layer.
Bake at 300F degrees for 10-15 minutes.
In a large bowl, mix eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, and flour until combined. Fold in chopped pecans.
When shortbread layer is done, remove from the oven and pour on pecan mixture.
Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake again for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden and crispy. Take out, allow to cool completely. These are easier to cut if you place it in the fridge and cool them. It also helps them to finish setting up.
Then cut into squares. And serve!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Originally published: February 2018
Updated and republished: March 2023
Southern Pecan Pie Bars (+Video)
For the shortbread crust:
- Preheat oven to 300f degrees. Line the bottom of an 9×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper. In a small bowl, mix butter, sugar, vanilla, and flour until you have a thick, sticky dough.
- Press into the bottom of prepared baking dish in a single thin layer and bake at 300f degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, and flour until combined. Fold in chopped pecans.
- When shortbread layer is done, remove from the oven and pour over your pecan mixture. Raise the oven temperature to 350F degrees, and bake again for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden and lightly crispy.
- Take out and allow to cool COMPLETELY. These slice up easier if you put them into the refrigerator and cool. It also helps the filling to finish setting up.
- Then cut into squares and serve!
- You don’t want to use a smaller size pan or the filling won’t turn out and set up properly.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.