How many of y’all grew up with Chicken and Rice? I think most countries and cultures have some sort of variation of a chicken and rice recipe. It is comfort food that is filling and makes your belly happy. This recipe I’m sharing you today is a slight variation of one from my childhood. The original recipe called for two cans of cream of chicken soup. I like to make it with a can of cheddar cheese soup. It gives it a great cheesy flavor and I also like to use some different seasonings to amp up the flavor a little bit without overpowering all the other tastes going on. This is a very simple and affordable meal (which we love!) that easily feeds a family of four.
1 1/2 cups water
1 small onion, diced
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
shredded cheese for topping (optional)
Stir well to combine.
Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
Pour soup mixture over chicken breasts.
Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- 1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken, undiluted
- 1 (10 oz) can cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1½ cups water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ tbsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- salt & pepper, to taste
- shredded cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese soup, water, diced onion and rice.
- Stir well to combine.
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Put chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Season with Lemon & Pepper Seasoning.
- This adds a lot of flavor to the chicken. It is not overly lemon-y.
- If you've never used it before, give it a try.
- This is a great all-purpose seasoning.
- Be sure to season with a bit of salt & pepper too.
- Pour soup mixture over chicken breasts.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
For extra cheesiness, try adding some shredded cheddar cheese during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Put the lid back on and allow it to melt.