This recipe for Turtle Brownies are not only scrumptious, they are incredibly easy to make with delicious layers of chocolate and caramel!
THE BEST TURTLE BROWNIES
With the popularity of the KNOCK YA NAKED BROWNIES, I thought I would take that recipe and jazz it up a bit and make it into a turtle candy inspired brownie. It’s one of our favorites and it’s so simple to make. I promise, no one will have any clue that you used a boxed cake mix for this!
TIPS FOR MAKING THESE DELICIOUSLY LAYERED BROWNIES:
- These brownies are rich so you’ll want to cut them into relatively small squares.
- Use any chocolate cake mix you prefer. I personally think this tastes best with the German chocolate flavor.
- Around the holidays, Kraft usually comes out with caramels that are already unwrapped that are perfect for baking!
HOW TO MAKE THESE EASY TURTLE BROWNIES:
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray an 8×8-baking pan with non-stick spray or line the pan with parchment paper and spray the paper for easier removal of the bars.This will make it a bit easier to cut later too.In a bowl, using a stand or hand mixer, mix together the cake mix, butter, 3/4 cup of the pecans (the other 1/4 cup will be used to top the brownies) and 3 oz. of the evaporated milk.Press half of the brownie batter into the bottom of the pan. Warning: Batter will be sticky. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.While the bottom half of the brownies is baking, make the caramel sauce. In a small sauce pan, over low/medium heat. melt the caramels and 2 ounces of the evaporated milk and stir often to prevent burning. Once melted, remove from the caramel from the heat and set aside.When the bottom is done baking, immediately sprinkle 4 oz. of the chocolate chips on the baked bottom layer and then spread about 3/4 of the caramel sauce on top. Save the remaining caramel sauce to drizzle on top when they are all baked.Crumble the remaining half of the brownie batter over the caramel layer as evenly as possible. It’s okay if some caramel is showing, since the batter will spread when baked. Sprinkle the remaining pecans over the top. Bake for another 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting. When it’s time to cut, warm up the remaining caramel sauce and drizzle it all over the top of the brownies. Melt remaining chocolate chips and drizzle on top as well.Store covered at room temperature.
THE BEST TURTLE BROWNIES
- 1 (15 oz) box German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup chopped pecans (divided use)
- 1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk (divided use)
- 1 (11 oz) bag caramel candy or caramel bits
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (divided use)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Or line the pan with parchment paper and spray the paper. This will make it easier to remove and cut into bars later.
- In a bowl, mix together the cake mix, softened butter, 3/4 cups of the chopped pecans (we'll use the rest for the topping later) and 3 ounces of evaporated milk.
- Press half of the brownie batter into the bottom of the prepared pan. It might help to moisten your hands a bit to press it down since the batter will be a sticky.
- Bake this bottom half for 10 minutes at 350f degrees.
- In a small saucepan, over low to medium heat, melt the caramels and the rest of the evaporated milk. Whisk often to prevent burning. Once melted, remove from the stove and set aside.
- When the bottom is done baking, immediately sprinkle half of the chocolate chips on the bottom layer and then spread 3/4 of the caramel sauce on to (the rest will be used as a topping.)
- Crumble the remaining half of the brownie batter evenly over the caramel layer. Note: t’s okay if some caramel is showing since the batter will spread out as it bakes.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped pecans on top. Bake for another 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean .
- Let the brownies cool completely.
- When it’s time to cut, warm up the remaining caramel sauce and drizzle it all over the top of the finished brownies.
- Finally, melt the remaining semi-sweet chocolate chips and drizzle that over the brownies as well.
- Slice and serve!