This easy Slow Cooker Soup Beans and Ham recipe is made with canned pinto beans, ham flavoring and chopped ham. Simple but delicious!
SLOW COOKER SOUP BEANS AND HAM
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS SOUP:
- I’ve modernized this recipe for soup beans and ham a bit by using a slow cooker and some convenience items.
- Dried beans can be used. Just soak in water overnight and rinse well to remove any rocks, etc. before cooking. You’ll want to add about 2 cups of water when cooking this recipe to compensate.
- Leftover ham is perfect for this recipe. A warm and comforting after-Christmas or after-Easter meal!
- Ham concentrate can usually be found near the Latin foods aisle of your grocery store. Also, you may be able to find a product called Ham Base (Bouillon). It is usually located down the soup aisle, near the chicken and beef broth. You can also use that for ham flavoring (about a teaspoon.)
- Feel free to add other flavorings like diced onion and minced garlic.
- I haven’t tried making this in the Instant Pot yet so I am not sure if or how that would work. If you try it – let me know!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
canned pinto beans
ham concentrate or ham bouillon
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT SOUP BEANS AND HAM (STEP-BY-STEP):
Take all the ingredients and combine in your slow cooker.
Make some CORNBREAD and serve! It’s that easy! A filling and budget-friendly meal.
Originally published: October 2011
Updated & republished: December 2019
CROCK POT SOUP BEANS AND HAM
- 4 15 oz cans pinto beans
- 1 packet ham concentrate
- 1 (1 lb) package of cubed ham, or leftover chopped ham
- Take all the ingredients and combine in your slow cooker.
- Give it all a good stir and cover.
- Set on low for about 4-6 hours.
- Everything in here is already precooked. You're really just giving the flavors a chance to meld and for the beans to take on that yummy ham flavor.
- Serve with cornbread.