Easy, simple, flavorful Perfect Roast Chicken. This is the best roast chicken recipe ever and is perfect for your Sunday roast.
THE BEST ROAST CHICKEN
There’s nothing better than a good roast chicken on a Sunday evening. The delicious Sunday roast. This roasted chicken is one of my favorite meals to make. I can always count on it to turn out perfectly and the leftovers make for an amazing CHICKEN SALAD.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST ROASTED CHICKEN:
- It’s all about the butter! Butter can cause a bit of smoke but it will give your chicken a golden color and make the skin crispy! This chicken is so juicy and the meat comes out so flavorful. The skin comes out crispy every time and is seasoned just right.
- You can use ghee to help with the smoking but I’ve tried it and I don’t feel you get the same flavor.
- It’s also all about seasoning the inside of the whole chicken so that the flavor penetrates the meat. Sometimes people like to put butter under the skin on the chicken. I find that method messy and often it tears the skin. Crispy skin is my favorite part. So, I go inside the bird! Season the whole inside with salt, pepper and then stuff it with fresh garlic and lemon. This produces juicy chicken with lots of flavor!
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH ROASTED CHICKEN?
This would be delicious served with my CREAMY HERBED FINGERLING POTATOES! Or perhaps something more classic like my CROCK POT MILLION DOLLAR MASHED POTATOES. For a more fall-inspired dish, maybe some HONEY GLAZED SWEET POTATOES! Craving something other than potatoes? How about ITALIAN GREEN BEANS or my BACON GARLIC GREEN BEANS. You can’t go wrong!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST ROAST CHICKEN:
Preheat the oven to 425f degrees. Remove the chicken from plastic wrap and remove any giblets that are in the cavity. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any leftover pinfeathers that may still be hanging on and pat the outside dry. Place the chicken in a large roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Cut lemon and garlic head in half.
CROCK POT LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN
CROCK POT CHICKEN POT PIE
CROCK POT CHICKEN & STUFFING
CHICKEN TACO RECIPE
CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS CASSEROLE
EASY CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE
RITZ CHICKEN CASSEROLE
CHEESY BBQ BACON RANCH CHICKEN & POTATOES
THE BEST ROAST CHICKEN
- 1 (5-6 pound) roasting chicken
- kosher salt & ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 2 tbsp salted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 425f degrees. Remove the chicken from plastic wrap and remove any giblets that are in the cavity. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Pat it dry.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.
- Cut lemon and garlic head in half. Stuff the cavity with lemon and garlic halves. Squeeze a bit of the lemon juice into the chicken cavity before placing lemon halves inside.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the melted butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Use all the butter, this is what is going to help make the skin crispy and give it a golden color.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken (this step is optional).
- Roast the chicken, uncovered, for about an hour and half or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- The melted butter you slather on the chicken may smoke some in your oven. Butter has a low burning point and because you are cooking this at a higher temperature, you may see a bit of smoking. Do not worry. This is normal. Just make sure your oven fan is in good working condition. It is all worth it for the flavor it brings to this chicken!
- You can use ghee to help with the smoking but I've tried it and I don't feel you get the same flavor.
Originally published: November 2011
Updated & republished: September 2020