With this recipe for No-Starter Amish Friendship Bread, there is all the flavor of a traditional Amish Friendship Bread but none of the wait!
A SIMPLER FRIENDSHIP BREAD RECIPE
If you aren’t familiar with Amish Friendship Bread then you are missing out on some of the yummiest sweet bread you’ve ever tasted. Growing up, this bread was popular among the Navy wives in our little base community.
WHAT IS A BREAD STARTER?
To make the traditional Amish Friendship Bread, you need to get a “bread starter” from one of your friends (or make it yourself). The starter is made with a mixture of flour, sugar and milk placed into a resealable bag.You knead the bag once a day for a few days And then you have to “feed” it a few days after that. After the tenth day, you can divide it all up into 10 resealable bags and pass them out to friends, hence the name, Friendship Bread). They can then make the bread by adding a few more ingredients to the starter or start the process all over again to make more starters. Bottom line, it takes a bit of time and dedication so I’m going to show you how to make a cheater version!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- real buttermilk
- large eggs
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- baking powder
- baking soda
- all-purpose flour
- instant vanilla pudding
- chopped walnuts (optional)
HOW TO MAKE AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD:
Preheat oven to 325f degrees. Spray two bread loaf pans (or 8 mini loaf pans) with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture on the sides and bottom of loaf pans.
In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then, slowly stir in flour and instant vanilla pudding. Finally, gently stir in chopped walnuts.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Sprinkle the tops with rest of the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
Bake for 45 minutes (for mini loaves) and about an hour for full-size loaves. Allow to cool completely. Then gently remove the loaves and pack them into cellophane bags.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
No-Starter Amish Friendship Bread (+Video)
For the cinnamon sugar mixture:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325f degrees. Spray two 8×4-inch bread loaf pans (or 8 mini loaf pans) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture on the sides and bottom of loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Then, slowly stir in flour and instant vanilla pudding.
- Finally, gently stir in chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Sprinkle the tops with rest of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes (for mini loaves) and about an hour for full-size loaves.
- Allow to cool completely then slice.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published:September 2017
Updated & republished: December 2020
Recipe credit: Friendship Bread Kitchen