Overripe bananas are key!
This really is the best banana nut bread recipe I have ever made. And I usually make it when I have some over-ripe bananas that are just begging to be used. If I catch them before they become too ripe then I will usually make banana pudding.Those overripe bananas help make this bread so moist!
The Best Banana Nut Bread
This really is a fairly simple bread to throw together. You can make it with or without the streusel topping. I do like to add some banana extract to the batter because I like a really strong banana flavor but if you don’t have it on hand, just substitute with vanilla extract.
For the bread:
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup melted butter
½ cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ cup chopped walnuts
- For the bread:
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon banana extract optional
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Optional Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Spray loaf baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed bananas, eggs, butter and sugar and extract.
- Mix thoroughly, then add dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Mix until combined then stir in chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- Make streusel topping.
- Combine flour, butter and sugar until crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of batter.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
You don’t need the banana extract to make this taste better. I just enjoy a strong banana flavor. You can substitute with vanilla extract if you’d like.