This homemade banana bread truly is the best banana nut bread recipe out there. It is easy to make, incredibly moist and has a delicious streusel topping!
A MOIST AND SWEET BANANA BREAD RECIPE
This really is the best banana nut bread recipe I have ever made. And I usually make it when I have some over-ripe bananas that are just begging to be used. If I catch them before they become too ripe then I will usually make Southern Banana Pudding. Those overripe bananas help make this bread so moist!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
No this is totally optional. The bread will still be moist and delicious without it.
It didn't bake long enough and isn't done. Keep in mind, with all baking recipes, oven times vary. Many ovens have hot and cool spots. Some older ovens often lose their ability to keep a consistent temperature while baking or if you open the oven door too many times, it also decreases oven temperature. So to know when your bread is actually done, stick a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean then your bread is ready.
The overly ripe bananas. You want bananas that have black spots or streaks on the peel. The more dark spots on the banana, the more ripe (and therefore, sweeter) the banana. You don't want green or all yellow bananas.
Yes, it sure can. It will probably make about 8-10 regular sized muffins. Baking time will be slightly shortened so you'll have to play that timing by ear.
Yes. It actually freezes really well. Just wrap bread in plastic wrap then wrap it in aluminum foil and it will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just defrost in the refrigerator when ready to eat.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- very ripe bananas
- large egg
- salted butter
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
HOW TO BAKE BANANA BREAD:
Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan loaf with nonstick spray. In a medium bowl, combine mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, sugar and vanilla extract.
Mix thoroughly, then add dry ingredients; flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
Mix until combined then stir in chopped walnuts.
Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
To make optional streusel topping: Combine flour, butter and sugar until crumbly.
Sprinkle on top of batter. Bake bread for about an hour.Bread should spring back to the touch. Or you can insert a toothpick in the middle. It should come out clean (no batter sticking to it.)
Allow to cool before slicing.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
The Best Banana Bread (+Video)
For the bread:
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup salted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon banana extract (optional)
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
For the (optional) Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Spray 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed bananas, eggs, butter and sugar and vanilla extract.
- Mix thoroughly, then add dry ingredients; flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Mix until combined then stir in chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Make streusel topping. Combine flour, butter and sugar until crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly on top of batter in loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
- For an extra boost of banana flavor, add in an additional one teaspoon of banana extract.
- This bread can be frozen, see my notes above.
- If you only have unsalted butter, you'll want to add a teaspoon of salt to this recipe.
Originally published: January 2011
Updated and republished: April 2019