This Homemade Banana Cake with frosting is made totally from scratch and has the best banana flavor ever! So moist and delicious!
A MOIST, FLAVORFUL HOMEMADE BANANA CAKE
I buy bananas like crazy. Every time I go to the store, I pick up a bunch. Mainly because my son and husband love them. Also because they can never eat them as fast as I buy them so I have excuses to make yummy goodness like Banana Bread or Banana Bread Crumb Cake and this Homemade Banana Cake with Vanilla Frosting.
TIPS FOR MAKING BANANA CAKE:
- The riper the banana, the sweeter the cake! Keep that in mind whenever you make any baked goods with bananas. If they haven’t started to brown then your bread or cake won’t be as sweet.
- Try adding a touch of rum extract to the batter or to the frosting to create a flavor similar to Bananas Foster.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- sour cream
- salted butter
- super ripe bananas (a lot of brown spots)
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- chopped walnuts
- heavy cream
- powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE BANANA CAKE:
Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Spray 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, cream together sugar, sour cream, egg, and melted butter.
Add mashed bananas and vanilla extract.
Add flour, salt, and baking soda; mix well
Pour into greased pan.
Bake for 25-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
To make frosting:
Cream butter and confectioner’s sugar together until smooth. Slowly add the heavy cream; stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Spread on cooled cake.
Cook’s Note: The frosting really is optional in this. This cake is so moist and is plenty sweet all by itself. It will be more like a snack cake without the frosting.
Like cream cheese frosting? Try adding 1/2 block (4 oz.) of softened cream cheese to the frosting mixture, adding a little more milk or heavy cream if necessary to make it spreadable.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Banana Cake with Buttercream Frosting (+Video)
For the cake:
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Spray 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, cream together sugar, sour cream, egg, and melted butter.
- Add mashed bananas and vanilla extract and continue to mix.
- Add flour and baking soda; mix well.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Cream butter and confectioner's sugar together until smooth using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Slowly add the heavy cream; stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Spread on cooled cake. Slice then serve!
- The frosting really is optional in this. This cake is so moist and is plenty sweet all by itself. It will be more like a snack cake without the frosting.
- Keep cake refrigerated.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published November 2011
Updated and republished: May 2019