Mom's Chicken and Rice Casserole is a blast from the past. Rotisserie chicken in a creamy, rice filling topped with bread crumbs!
AN EASY COMFORT CASSEROLE
One of my favorite meals as a kid was a chicken casserole my Mom made. It was pretty basic: chicken, cream soup and bread crumbs. This recipe for Mom's Chicken and Rice Casserole that I am sharing today is a take on that recipe. But I also added some cooked rice. 🙂 I wanted to stay true to the original recipe by keeping it super simple. And I made it even easier by using store-bought rotisserie chicken instead of boiling the chicken as my Mom used to do.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHICKEN & RICE CASSEROLE:
- A couple of additional add-ins to this would be your favorite veggies. Chopped broccoli would be fabulous! Cooked celery and onion would also be one of my suggestions. Even peas and carrots or sliced mushrooms. Whatever your family loves will work in this!
- Cream of celery is my favorite in this dish but feel free to use cream of chicken or mushroom if you prefer.
- This is a great dish to make with that leftover white rice you may have from getting Chinese food from the night before!
- Leftover turkey also works great in this or even diced ham!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- store-bought rotisserie chicken
- cooked long-grain white rice
- cream of celery soup
- chicken stock (or broth)
- finely diced onion
- bread crumbs
- salted butter
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE:
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray an 11x7 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together chicken, cooked rice, soup, mayonnaise, chicken stock and finely diced onion. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs with melted butter.
Sprinkle over chicken mixture. Bake in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Then serve up and dig in!
Mom’s Chicken & Rice Casserole (+Video)
- 2 cups (chopped) store-bought rotisserie chicken (purchase family-sized chicken)
- 1 cup (cooked) long-grain white rice
- 10.5 ounce can cream of celery soup
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup chicken stock (or broth)
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray an 11x7 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together chicken, cooked rice, soup, mayonnaise, chicken stock and finely diced onion.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs with melted butter.
- Sprinkle over chicken mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
RITZ CHICKEN CASSEROLE
CHICKEN SCAMPI WITH GARLIC PARMESAN RICE
CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE
CROCK POT CHICKEN & RICE BURRITO BOWL
CREAMY HAM FETTUCCINE CASSEROLE
AMISH COUNTRY CASSEROLE
MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE
CHEESEBURGER & FRIES CASSEROLE
BAKED REUBEN CASSEROLE
CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS CASSEROLE