Mom’s Chicken and Rice Casserole is a blast from the past. Rotisserie chicken in a creamy, rice filling topped with bread crumbs!
CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE
One of my favorite meals as a kid was a chicken casserole my Mom made. It was pretty basic: chicken, cream soup and bread crumbs. This recipe for Mom’s Chicken and Rice Casserole that I am sharing today is a take on that recipe. But I also added some cooked rice. 🙂 I wanted to stay true to the original recipe by keeping it super simple. And I made it even easier by using store-bought rotisserie chicken instead of boiling the chicken as my Mom used to do.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS CASSEROLE:
- A couple of additional add-ins to this would be your favorite veggies. Chopped broccoli would be fabulous! Cooked celery and onion would also be one of my suggestions. Even peas and carrots or sliced mushrooms. Whatever your family loves will work in this!
- Cream of celery is my favorite in this dish but feel free to use cream of chicken or mushroom if you prefer.
- This is a great dish to make with that leftover white rice you may have from getting Chinese food from the night before!
- Leftover turkey also works great in this or even diced ham!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
store-bought rotisserie chicken (purchase family-sized chicken)
cooked long-grain white rice
cream of celery soup
chicken stock (or broth)
finely diced onion
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE (STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS):
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray an 11×7 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together chicken, cooked rice, soup, mayonnaise, chicken stock and finely diced onion. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs with melted butter.
Sprinkle over chicken mixture. Bake in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Then serve up and dig in!
MOM'S CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE
- 2 cups (chopped) store-bought rotisserie chicken (purchase family-sized chicken)
- 1 cup (cooked) long-grain white rice
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of celery soup
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or broth)
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp salted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray an 11x7 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together chicken, cooked rice, soup, mayonnaise, chicken stock and finely diced onion.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs with melted butter.
- Sprinkle over chicken mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
RITZ CHICKEN CASSEROLE
CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE
CROCK POT CHICKEN & RICE BURRITO BOWL
CREAMY HAM FETTUCCINE CASSEROLE
AMISH COUNTRY CASSEROLE
MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE
CHEESEBURGER & FRIES CASSEROLE
BAKED REUBEN CASSEROLE
CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS CASSEROLE