Want to change up your boring taco night routine? This Homemade Taco Pie recipe is made with simple ingredients, is full of flavor and is fun to make and eat!
A DELICIOUS WEEKNIGHT TACO DINNER
I love taco nights at our house. It's one meal we can all basically agree on because we can each make our tacos how we want and it's simple to make. But one thing that I love even more than eating tacos is creating different twists on them. It turns the boring into something a bit more exciting. This Homemade Taco Pie is easy, tasty and a fun family dinner. It comes together in no time and you have a fun new spin on your Taco Tuesday! If you are anything like me and love to experiment with your favorite flavors, then this Homemade Taco Pie recipe is just for you.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
I would say yes but only if the packaging on the pie crust says that it has at least the "2 extra servings" or is a deep dish one. You will need to follow the instructions on the packaging for pre-baking.
Absolutely! You can use whatever your favorite cheese for tacos are. Cheddar, Mexican Blend, etc.
You also can use a pound of dried beans and place those in the shell also. This just helps from the crust of the pie shell keep from bubbling up too much. If you don't have any of these items, don't worry about it. Just prick the crust really well before baking.
Look, you can make this recipe as easy or as involved as you prefer. I season this beef with some seasonings I have here at home but a packet of taco seasoning will work just as good in this taco pie.
I love Herdez brand salsa. I usually get the mild or medium. You can substitute the salsa for a can of Rotel. However, I think the salsa adds a lot more flavor.
Refried beans would be delicious in this recipe. I would buy a an of refried beans and spread it all out as a bottom layer.
This can be covered in the refrigerator where it will keep for up to 3 days. The pie can be frozen before toppings are added. Cover well with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. It should keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- premade pie crust
- ground beef
- white onion
- chili powder
- sour cream
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- black olives
HOW TO MAKE A HOMEMADE TACO PIE:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and roll out the pie crust. Gently press it into a pie pan then trim off the excess around the edges.
Poke the bottom of the pie crust with a fork then place a sheet of parchment paper inside of the crust and add some baking beans or pie beads then bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is light and golden around the edges.
While the pie crust is baking add the ground beef and onion to a large skillet over medium heat and cook until the ground beef is no longer pink. Drain any excess grease and put back into the skillet.
Then add the garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder and stir and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant, about one minute.
Add half of the cheese and stir until completely melted.
Then add the salsa and half of the sour cream.
Stir to combine.
Once the pie crust has cooked add the ground beef mixture to the crust and spread it out.
Add the remaining shredded cheese on top and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and starts to bubble around the edges.
Let the pie cool for about 30 minutes before adding the remaining sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes and olives.
Slice and serve with lime wedges if desired.
Serve with any toppings you enjoy!
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU GOTTA TRY THESE!
- DORITOS WALKING TACOS
- CROCK POT TACO MEAT
- FRY BREAD TACOS
- TACO PULL APART BREAD
- THREE BEAN TACO CASSEROLE
- TACO CRESCENT RING
- SHRIMP TACOS
- COPYCAT TACO BELL MEXICAN PIZZA
Easy Homemade Taco Pie
- 9 inch premade pie crust
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups freshly shredded Colby Jack cheese divided use
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream divided use
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- Preheat the oven to 425F degrees and roll out the pie crust.
- Gently press it into a pie pan then trim off the excess around the edges.
- Poke the bottom of the pie crust with a fork then place a sheet of parchment paper inside of the crust and add some baking beans then bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is light and golden around the edges.
- While the pie crust is baking add the ground beef and onion to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook and crumble the ground beef until it is no longer pink. Drain excess grease and place back in the pan.
- Then add in the garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder and stir and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant, about one minute.
- Add half of the shredded cheese and stir until completely melted then add the salsa and half of the sour cream and stir to combine.
- Once the pie crust has cooked, add the ground beef mixture to the crust and evenly spread it out.
- Add the remaining shredded cheese on top and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and starts to bubble around the edges.
- Let the pie cool for about 10 minutes before adding the remaining sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes and olives.
- Slice and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
- If you want to make your own homemade pie crust you can.
- This will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- If you don't have pie beads, you can use 1 pound of dried beans or just skip it if you don't have those.
- Refried beans can be added as the first layer.
- A can of Rotel can be used in place of the salsa (but salsa will add more flavor.)
- A packet of taco seasoning can be used in place of the salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder.