Does anyone know who invented macaroni and cheese? Were they given a Nobel Peace Prize? If not, they should have. I’m pretty sure Mac ‘n Cheese can solve just about any problem (at least temporarily.) Now, I’m not condoning drowning your sorrows in food, but ya know, I’m keepin’ it real here. Trouble in your relationship? Talk it out over macaroni and cheese. Because this stuff makes everyone a little more agreeable. Even if you don’t fix your relationship, you are at least soothed by the cheesy gooey love of mac ‘n cheese.
Bad day at work? Car broke down? Kids not listening to you? Bust out a plate of this goodness, and the problems go to the back of your mind (for at least 15 minutes anyway). And sometimes that’s all it takes to feel like yourself again.
Over the years, I’ve found some ways to simplify it but still keep it gooey and cheesy. The key to this recipe? You aren’t going to boil the macaroni beforehand. Did you copy that? Do not boil the macaroni beforehand. This is going to not only save you time, but you aren’t gonna have to also wash up a pot, strainer and bowls too!
Bake for about 50-60 minutes (until macaroni is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed). Oven times vary so check it around the 40 minute mark.
Put it back in the oven (uncovered) for another 10-15 minutes (until cheese is melted, bubbly and golden.)
No-Boil Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 oz . Velveeta cheese sliced into 1/2" thickness, 1/2 block
- 4 cups milk 2% or higher
- 1 tsp . table salt
- 1 tsp . dry mustard powder
- 2 cups macaroni uncooked
- 4 tbsp . salted butter sliced into 1/2"thickness
- 4 cups shredded cheese (2 cups mixed cheeses 2 cups cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bottom of your baking dish, mix together milk with salt and dry mustard powder.
- Pour in uncooked macaroni (spread it out.)
- Then add slices of Velveeta & 2 cups mixed cheeses into baking dish (spread it out.)
- Top with slices of butter (pushing them down a bit under the milk.)
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 50-60 minutes (until macaroni is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed).
- Oven times vary so check it around the 40 minute mark.
- Take it out of the oven, remove foil, and top with 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Put it back in the oven (uncovered) for another 10-15 minutes (until cheese is melted.)