Enjoy the sweet and creamy taste of a classic Frozen Fruit Salad made with only a handful of ingredients and ready in just 15 minutes! The perfect no-bake summer dessert!
AN EASY POTLUCK DISH
This cool, creamy concoction is jam-packed with flavor and texture, thanks to its combination of refreshingly sweet fruits, cream cheese, marshmallows, and Cool Whip. Plus it can be prepared ahead of time! Not only will your family and friends love it, but they’ll be asking for more! These classic recipes are a classic for a reason! Let me show you how simple this delicious treat is to make!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Frozen fruit salad is a no-bake dessert that typically includes a combination of chopped fruit, whipped topping, cream cheese and occasionally nuts or other add-ins. The mixture is then placed in a mold or baking dish and frozen until it becomes solid. Once frozen, the fruit salad is usually sliced and served as a light, sweet and creamy dessert.
Certainly! If you want a thicker dessert just make this recipe and put it into a 9×9-inch baking dish rather than the 9X13-inch baking dish. Or you can double the recipe and use the same size baking dish.
You bet. You can use any other canned fruit variation that you prefer. You can even use fresh fruit but just make sure it is a soft fruit like pineapple or grapes (and make sure they are cut up small). You could use bananas but they tend to brown and get mushy if you aren’t eating this immediately so it’s not my favorite choice of fruit for this.
I’ll be honest, I have never made this with fresh whipped cream. The only hesitation I have is that fresh whipped cream isn’t as stabilized as Cool Whip and can breakdown pretty quickly but it might work since this is a frozen dish. If you give it a try, please let me know!
We treat it like a dessert at holidays, events and potlucks, but I have also seen people use it as a regular holiday side dish. Pull it out of the freezer 15 minutes before you want to serve it so it starts to thaw, just enough to be able to cut it and serve it. Then place it back in the freezer if not eating all at once.
Leftovers should be stored in their freezer safe container and can be kept in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. Don’t refrigerate leftovers because the texture can change and flavor as well.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- cream cheese – this has to be fully softened to room temperature or it will not end up smooth. You’ll have lumps you’ll never be able to mix out. I usually just let it sit out on the counter the night before I make it.
- frozen whipped topping (Cool Whip) – if you’ve never purchased whipped topping before, it is in the frozen dessert section. You need to make sure it is thawed before using so just put it in your fridge overnight before using.
- fruit cocktail in juice – don’t purchase the kind that is in syrup. You want to look for 100% juice. Also, make sure you drain these very, very well. Any extra juice will keep this dessert from properly setting up.
- maraschino cherries – most fruit cocktail already has maraschino cherries in it but I like the additional pop of color this brings by adding a bit more.
- mini marshmallows – you can get the colorful mini marshmallows if you prefer.
HOW TO MAKE FROZEN FRUIT SALAD
Spray a 9×13-inch dish with nonstick spray. In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy. Fold in the whipped topping using a rubber spatula. Add in the fruit cocktail, maraschino cherries and mini marshmallows and fold until completely incorporated and coated in the cream cheese mixture.
Press the mixture into prepared baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours or until frozen.
Remove from the freezer about 15 minutes before you plan on serving to allow the fruit salad to thaw enough to cut. Cut into squares and enjoy!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Frozen Fruit Salad (+Video)
- 8 ounce block cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 8 ounce tub frozen whipped topping, thawed (Cool Whip)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans fruit cocktail in juice, well drained (not in syrup, if possible.)
- ½ cup maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Spray a 9×13-inch dish with nonstick spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat 8 ounce block cream cheese, softened to room temperature on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy.
- Fold in 8 ounce tub frozen whipped topping, thawed.
- Add in 2 (15 ounce) cans fruit cocktail in juice, well drained, ½ cup maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half and 2 cups mini marshmallows, until completely incorporated and coated in the cream cheese mixture.
- Press the mixture into prepared baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours or until frozen.
- Remove from the freezer about 10-15 minutes before you plan on serving to allow the fruit salad to thaw enough to cut.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
- Please refer to my FAQ’s and ingredient list above for other substitutions or for the answers to the most common questions.
- Cream cheese must be fully softened to room temperature or it will be lumpy.
- You can use other fruit choices, we just like the flavor and texture of the fruit cocktail and cherries.
- I don’t recommend using bigger marshmallows.
- This dessert is best served chilled. But should be stored in the freezer when not serving.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.