A tasty and easy weeknight meal, these Crock Pot Turkey Meatball Subs are a delicious family dinner that everyone will love!
AN EASY CROCK POT MEAL
Today I'm sharing how you can make these amazing Crock Pot Turkey Meatball Subs in the slow cooker! Well, to be fair, the meatballs and sauce are made in the slow cooker. The buns you have to buy from the store since we can't make those in the crock pot. When homemade meatballs are cooked low and slow, they stay very tender and juicy without drying out. Then we finish it all off in the oven to warm up the buns and get the cheese nice and melted! This makes a hearty batch, so you won't have to worry about not having enough! I hope you'll give this recipe for Crock Pot Turkey Meatball Subs a try!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Absolutely! It is perfectly safe to cook raw meat in a slow cooker. We will be cooking these on high which will keep a good higher temperature to make sure that they are cooked all the way through. The best way to know when meat is safe to eat will always be by checking the internal temperature of the meat. A food-safe instant read thermometer should read 165F degrees when these turkey meatballs are done (other meats have different cooked temperatures so refer to a cooking temperature chart for those).
Yes. This recipe makes about 12 subs with about 3 meatballs per sub. You can find larger sub buns and make bigger sandwiches if you desire.
Yes. I would just stick with a very lean meat. So if you get ground beef, you want a ground beef with the lowest fat content possible. Same with pork or pork sausage. The reason being is because the meat will release grease as it cooks and you don't want a bunch of grease in your marinara sauce.
We always default to mozzarella when it comes to meatball subs as it goes together so nicely. However, you can also use parmesan or provolone which are also great pairings.
My personal favorite jarred sauce is Rao's Roasted Garlic. It has the most homemade flavor (I believe) out of most of the jarred spaghetti sauce and it's easy to find in most grocery stores. A second runner up would be the Prego Roasted Garlic and Herb.
You can place the meatballs and sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator where they will keep for up to 3-4 days. You can also freeze the sauce and meatballs after they have cooled in a freezer bag where they will keep for up to 2 months. To defrost, remove to refrigerator overnight. You can reheat refrigerated and defrosted meatballs and sauce on stovetop until heated through.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- lean ground turkey
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning
- marinara or pasta sauce
- sub rolls
- mozzarella cheese
- fresh parsley
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT TURKEY MEATBALL SUBS:
In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, Italian breadcrumbs, eggs, Italian seasoning and salt. Mix together well. This is easiest to do with clean hands.
Using a medium cookie scoop (about 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons), form equal size meatballs and set aside.
Pour 1 cup of sauce into the bottom of the crockpot and spread evenly. Lay the meatballs on top of the sauce (they can be stacked on top of each other).
Pour the rest of the sauce over the meatballs.
Set for 2 hours on high, stirring halfway through.
Line a sheet pan with the split sub rolls and fill each sub roll with 3 meatballs.
Top with shredded cheese and bake for 5 minutes in the oven at 350F or broil to simply melt the cheese.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
- HOMEMADE TURKEY MEATBALLS
- HOMEMADE MARINARA SAUCE
- CHICKEN PHILLY SANDWICHES
- CROCK POT ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICHES
- MEATLOAF PATTY MELTS
- LEFTOVER TURKEY AND STUFFING BUNDLES
- MEATBALL PARMESAN SKILLET
CROCK POT TURKEY MEATBALL SUBS
- 1 pound 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups marinara or pasta sauce
- 12 sub rolls
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (use more if you prefer)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, Italian breadcrumbs, eggs, Italian seasoning and salt. Mix well with clean hands.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (about 1-½ tablespoons), form equal size meatballs and set aside.
- Pour 1 cup of sauce into the bottom of the crockpot and spread evenly. Lay the meatballs on top of the sauce (it's okay if the meatballs need to be stacked.)
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the meatballs.
- Set for 2 hours on high, stirring halfway through.
- When meatballs are done, line a sheet pan with the split sub rolls and fill each sub roll with 3 meatballs and sauce.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake for 5 minutes in the oven at 350F or broil to simply melt the cheese.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley (optional) and serve.
- You can cut this recipe in half to serve less people, cooking time may need adjusting. This is a great recipe to freeze for later though.
- If you wan't to make the subs larger, you can find larger sub rolls and make the meatballs larger.
- If you don't like mozzarella then parmesan and provolone are great substitutions.