No Thanksgiving or Christmas meal is complete without Crock Pot Stuffing! The best stuffing is made with bread, sausage, celery and onions!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville Italian Sausage. The opinions and text are all mine.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STUFFING AND DRESSING?
Do you call this stuffing or dressing? I got into this discussion with a friend recently and he said that he had studied the history of this side dish for his cookbook and found that dressing was cornbread based and stuffing is made with cubed white or wheat bread. I love food history like that! Either way you enjoy it – it is a comfort dish for many of us!
THE BEST CROCK POT STUFFING
salt & pepper
mild Italian ground sausage
dried, cubed bread stuffing*
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST STUFFING:
I am using the cubed bread stuffing here. You can use the regular bagged herbed stuffing that is not cubed or you can use a bagged cornbread stuffing as well. Also, if you like a more ‘wet’ stuffing, just add more chicken broth or stock until it reaches your desired consistency.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CROCK POT STUFFING:
In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt butter.
Add in celery and onion. Season with salt & pepper.
Once celery and onion have begun to soften, add in Johnsonville ground sausage.
In a bowl, whisk together eggs and chicken stock.
It should be moist but still fluffy when done.
THE BEST CROCK POT STUFFING
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb Johnsonville ground Mild Italian Sausage
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (32 oz) contaner chicken stock
- 2 (12 oz) packages dried cubed bread stuffing
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add in celery and onion.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Once celery and onion have begun to soften, add in Johnsonville ground sausage.
- Then stir in poultry seasoning, sage and marjoram.
- Cook meat until no longer pink (breaking it up into crumbles as it cooks.)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and chicken stock.
- Once sausage is fully cooked, take off heat.
- Then stir in chicken stock mixture.
- Stir well.
- Pour bags of stuffing into your 4-quart (or larger) slow cooker.
- Then pour all of the sausage mixture into your crock pot with the bread stuffing.
- Gently stir mixture until combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
CRAVING MORE? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
THE BEST RECIPES FOR THE ULTIMATE THANKSGIVING
MAPLE GLAZED CARROTS
THE BEST SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
PUMPKIN PIE MAGIC CAKE
CROCK POT MACARONI & CHEESE
HONEY ROASTED PUMPKIN SALAD
CROCK POT SWEET CORN SPOON BREAD
HOW TO FRY A DELICIOUS TURKEY
THE BEST TATER GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
CROCK POT BAKED POTATOES (AND USES FOR THANKSGIVING LEFTOVERS!)
PUMPKIN-SHAPED CHEESEBALL (MY MOST POPULAR CHEESEBALL RECIPE!)
BROWN SUGAR PUMPKIN PIE
MAMA’S SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING