This Cowboy Hash Brown Skillet is the most delicious breakfast recipe! Bacon, eggs, refrigerated hash browns, diced onion and cheese!
COWBOY HASH BROWN SKILLET
The ideal breakfast/brunch meal for me is something that combines a bit of protein and a bit of carbohydrate. It fills me up, gives me energy and keeps me fuller longer. But I like to keep it simple. This is one of my favorite breakfast or brunch meals. Or even breakfast for dinner? Serve it with some fresh fruit and toast and it will easily feed a family of four.
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS EGG, BACON HASH BROWN SKILLET MEAL:
- You want to get a good, crispy browning on the hash browns. So make sure your hash browns are fully thawed and dried with a paper towel. When you put them in the skillet, don’t push them around too much. Just press them down with your spatula.
- Feel free to add your favorite veggies to this. Peppers and mushrooms are great options.
- Also, ham may be substituted for the bacon.
Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns
(salt & pepper, to taste)
HOW TO MAKE COWBOY HASH BROWN SKILLET BREAKFAST:
In a large nonstick skillet, cook chopped bacon over medium heat until it starts releasing a bit of fat, then add in chopped onions. Season with a little bit of salt and pepper.
Then uncover and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Let the cheese melt, then serve!
I sprinkled with a bit of chopped green onion just to give it some color and a punch of flavor.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
TEXAS SAUSAGE HASH BROWN CASSEROLE
BAKED SAUSAGE HASH BROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
HASH BROWN PORK CHOP CASSEROLE
THE BEST BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
PANCAKE SAUSAGE MUFFINS
SAUSAGE, EGG & CHEESE BISCUIT CASSEROLE
HAM, EGG & CHEESE BREAKFAST SLIDERS
COWBOY HASH BROWN SKILLET
- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (20 oz) package shredded hash browns, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook chopped bacon over medium heat until it starts releasing a bit of fat, then add in chopped onions.
- Season with a little bit of salt and pepper. Cook until bacon is just starting to get crispy and onions are soft.
- Then drain excess bacon fat, just leaving about 1/4 cup left in the pan.
- Stir in hash browns.
- Cook over medium heat, uncovered for about 8-10 minutes. Hash browns should be getting a light golden brown on the bottom. Turn potatoes.
- With the end of a spoon, make eight, evenly spaced holes in the hash browns.
- Break one egg into each hole. Season the eggs with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Cover, turn the heat down to low, and cook for another 10 minutes (until eggs are set).
- Then uncover and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Let the cheese melt, then serve!
Originally published: March 2014
Updated & republished: October 2020