brown up too much).
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 2 lb bag frozen hash browns thawed
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage sage or spicy
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Spray 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a sauté pan, cook onions and brown and crumble sausage.
- Drain any excess grease. (If you’d like, at this point, you can just take crumbled sausage out of pan, leaving the grease, and then brown the hash browns a bit, this adds nice flavor to the casserole)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- In a baking dish, spread thawed hash browns into bottom of dish.
- Make sure your hash browns are thawed and dried.
- Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- You don't want that extra moisture to make your casserole runny.
- Spread cooked sausage on top of hashbrowns.
- Next, pour egg mixture on top of that.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheddar cheese on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Take foil off and bake for additional 10 minutes. (Just keep an eye on it to make sure the cheese doesn’t brown up too much).
Like most casseroles, this is perfect to make the night before to have ready to bake the next morning!
For an added layer of flavor, try browning the hashbrowns in a pan before putting them in the baking dish.