A fun and tasty dip, this Cowboy Caviar recipe is the perfect appetizer or snack that is full of fresh flavors that everyone loves!
A FUN AND TASTY DIP RECIPE
I love a good dip, I mean, who doesn't? will always see some sort of dip around our house pretty much at any given time. This Cowboy Caviar is one of my personal favorites. With fresh ingredients, it is filled with so much flavor that you get deliciousness in each and every single bite. It is one of the most requested dips from friends and it travels really well so I bring it to gatherings along with some tortilla chips or pita bread slices for dipping. This recipe is also great all year long so you can make it any season! If you have not tried it before, you absolutely need to make this Cowboy Caviar recipe!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
It was a bit of joke really. This particular dish (that includes several other different variations) was first noticed at a hotel in Austin when it was given the fun nickname of "Texas Caviar". It was a tongue-in-cheek nod to that other expensive fish egg caviar. From there it evolved into other names such as Cowboy Caviar.
Fun fact: it was actually created in the 1940's by a native New Yorker (Helen Corbitt) who was a head chef at Neiman Marcus and later moved to work in Texas.
No. I really love the flavor of the avocado in this recipe but you can absolutely leave it out if you are not a fan. This is a very customizable recipe where you can add in or remove ingredients easily.
This is best served with tortilla chips. Other things you can use is pita bread, crackers, etc. It can also be used in other dishes as well. I use it as a toping in carnitas. It's outstanding!
This can be stored covered or in an airtight container where it will keep for up to 3 days without the avocado. Serve within the day if the avocado is added.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- sweet golden corn
- black beans
- black eyed peas
- red onion
- olive oil
- limes, juiced
HOW TO MAKE COWBOY CAVIAR:
Add the corn, black beans, black eyed peas, tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, garlic, olive oil, lime juice and salt to a large bowl and toss to combine.
Add the avocado and gently toss to combine then serve with tortilla chips and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
- 15 ounce can sweet golden corn drained
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can black eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, each sliced in half
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- ½ jalapeño seeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, pitted and sliced
- Add the corn, black beans, black eyed peas, tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, garlic, olive oil, lime juice and salt to a large bowl and gently stir to combine.
- Add the avocado and gently stir again to combine then serve with tortilla chips and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
- This recipe can easily be doubled.
- The avocado can be left out if desired.