These BLT Bites are tomatoes stuffed with bacon, lettuce in a creamy filling. It tastes just like your favorite BLT in a delicious, low carb appetizer!
AN EASY TO MAKE (AND EAT!) APPETIZER
The flavor of these Low Carb BLT Bites are really amazing. Such a great new idea for party food. I just love them. The only difficulty I had was getting them all to stay upright and not fall over. I found that if I used a smaller plate, it helped to balance them. I was afraid to cut anything off the bottom of the tomatoes in fear of the filling seeping through the end. But if you use a large enough tomato, you may be able to do that. And the bonus? These are a great appetizer for those of you who prefer to eat low carb!
CAN THIS BE MADE INTO A DIP?
Yes! Instead of stuffing the tomatoes. Try dicing the tomatoes and add them straight into the mixture and serve with your favorite cracker. Also, these are not an appetizer that can be made the evening before. But, I think you could make the filling a day ahead of time. Just be sure that you put the filling in an airtight container with locking lid. This is a great dish to make with a friend! This recipe makes 16. You may want to grab an extra pair of hands to make these and double or even triple the recipe. I think I ate about 8 of these all by myself.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- cherry (cocktail) tomatoes
- green onions
- romaine lettuce
Cook's Notes: Be sure to get the larger size cherry tomatoes or you'll have a very difficult time stuffing these. They are sometimes called cocktail tomatoes. Also, I think regular ole iceberg lettuce would work fine in this recipe. This recipe can easily be doubled.
HOW TO MAKE BLT BITES:
Cut a thin slice off the stem end of each tomato, and scoop out and discard the pulp. Drain the tomatoes, cut side down, on paper towels for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
Stir gently to mix well.
Spoon this mixture evenly into the tomatoes. Refrigerate, covered, for at least one hour, but not overnight. Serve chilled. Serves 4-6.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT!
- 16 cherry (cocktail) tomatoes
- ½ pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup minced green onions white and green parts
- 3 Tablespoons minced romaine lettuce
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom end (not the stem end) of each tomato, and scoop out and discard the pulp.
- Drain the tomatoes, cut side down, on paper towels for 10 minutes.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Stir gently to mix well.
- Spoon this mixture into the tomatoes.
- Refrigerate, covered, for about an hour, but not overnight. Then serve.
- Be sure to get the larger size cherry tomatoes or you'll have a very difficult time stuffing these. They are sometimes called cocktail tomatoes.
- Also, I think regular iceberg lettuce would work fine in this recipe.
- This recipe can easily be doubled.
- These are not an appetizer that can be made the evening before.
Originally published: October 2011
Updated and Republished: May 2019