If you are looking for more chicken recipes for the air fryer, then this Air Fryer Chicken Bites recipe is the one! Incredible flavor and so easy to make!
A DELICIOUS AIR FRYER CHICKEN RECIPE
Trying to get more protein into your diet? You will love this recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Breasts. It brings a ton of flavor without oil frying! These can be prepared in minutes and they are absolutely delicious! My whole family were so impressed with how much flavor these chicken chunks had yet they are low in fat, high in protein and easy to make! If you are on the hunt for new air fryer chicken recipes, then you need to add this one into your rotation!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Just don’t add the red pepper flakes and either remove or cut back the cajun seasoning (by about half.)
Yes, you can substitute the chicken breasts with boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken tenderloins. You may have to adjust the timing so just make sure the internal temperature reaches 165F degrees. Just don’t overcook or the chicken will become dry.
BBQ sauce, honey mustard, ranch or perhaps a garlic aioli (which is just a garlic mayonnaise)
The sugar helps balance out the other spices in this. Think of it similar to Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets where the sweetness balances out the overall flavor. It also gives it a bit of char that adds a delicious look and depth of flavor.
BBQ seasoning, blackening seasoning, or lemon pepper all work well.
Keep leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months. I do not suggest using the airfryer to reheat these because they will dry out too much. I suggest either placing the cooked chicken bites in a sealed foil packet with a splash of water or chicken stock and placing it in the oven until warmed through. I have also added 1 tablespoon of butter to a large skillet and added the cooked chicken bites to it and heated over medium until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts – you could also use chicken thighs.
- olive oil – you can use any oil that you prefer.
- cajun seasoning, poultry seasoning, dried thyme, dried parsley flakes, salt – this is just my preference for seasoning. Use what you like and have on hand.
- granulated sugar – this does not make it sweet, it just helps balance out the other flavors.
- smoked paprika – if you can’t find smoked, just use regular.
- red pepper flakes – this is optional, just gives it that small kick of spice.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHICKEN BITES:
Preheat a 5-quart air fryer to 380°F for 5 minutes. Cut chicken into 1-inch bite-sized pieces and place them into a medium-sized bowl. Add the olive oil to the bowl and stir to coat the chicken in the oil. Add the cajun seasoning, sugar, salt, paprika, red pepper flakes, poultry seasoning, thyme, and parsley, and stir so the chicken is coated in the spices.
Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil nonstick spray. Add the chicken pieces to the basket in a single layer. Cook for 7-11 minutes, shaking the basket around every few minutes for even cooking.
The chicken bites are done when an internal temperature reaches at least 165°F. Serve immediately.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Air Fryer Chicken Bites (+Video)
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons cajun seasoning (I like Slap Ya Mama seasoning or Tony Chachere's)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Preheat a 5-quart air fryer to 380°F for 5 minutes.
- Cut 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch bite-sized pieces and place them into a medium-sized bowl. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to the bowl and stir to coat the chicken in the oil.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons cajun seasoning, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes , 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme and 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes and stir so the chicken is coated in the spices.
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil nonstick spray. Add the chicken pieces to the basket in a single layer (you may need to do this in batches so you don't overcrowd the air fryer).
- Cook for 7-11 minutes, shaking the basket around every few minutes for even cooking (or you can flip them around using tongs). The chicken bites are done when an internal temperature reaches at least 165°F. Serve immediately.
- Please refer to my FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions) and ingredient list above for other substitutions or for the answers to the most common questions.
- The sugar helps balance out the other spices in this. Think of it similar to Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets where the sweetness balances out the overall flavor. It also gives it a bit of char that adds a delicious look and depth of flavor.
- Red pepper flakes are optional if you aren’t a fan of spice. You can also cut the cajun seasoning in half.
- Creole seasoning (like Tony Chachere’s) can be substituted for the cajun seasoning.
- Please note: I test all air fryer recipes in a standard basket air fryer since this is the one most commonly owned in the the U.S. and Canada. There are dozens of other types and they may cook differently than the traditional basket air fryer. I cannot test every recipe in every type of possible air fryer there is out there. You will need to use your own knowledge of your air fryer to make adjustments as necessary.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.