HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BANANA BREAD
This really is the best banana nut bread recipe I have ever made. And I usually make it when I have some over-ripe bananas that are just begging to be used. If I catch them before they become too ripe then I will usually make SOUTHERN BANANA PUDDING. Those overripe bananas help make this bread so moist!
WHAT COLOR SHOULD THE BANANAS BE FOR BANANA BREAD?
They should have black spots or streaks on the peel. The more dark spots on the banana, the more ripe (and therefore, sweeter) the banana. You don’t want green or all yellow bananas.
SIMPLE AND MOIST
This really is a fairly simple bread to throw together. You can make it with or without the streusel topping. I do like to add some banana extract to the batter because I like a really strong banana flavor but if you don’t have it on hand, just substitute with vanilla extract.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
For the bread:
very ripe bananas
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE THE BEST BANANA BREAD:
Originally published: January 2011
Updated and republished: April 2019
THE BEST BANANA BREAD
For the bread:
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon banana extract optional
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
For the (optional) Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Spray loaf baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed bananas, eggs, butter and sugar and extract.
- Mix thoroughly, then add dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Mix until combined then stir in chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- Make streusel topping.
- Combine flour, butter and sugar until crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of batter.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing.