Are you a pot pie fan? How about making a fun twist on the usual pot pie and and make this Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie! Kid approved!
A FUN TWIST ON POT PIE
I love pot pies! Growing up I mostly ate the frozen kind that had to be heated up in the oven. Then as I progressed into adulthood and started cooking more, I started making my own homemade version. Of course, I still love a good frozen pot pie every now and then! Tater tots are another favorite of mine and I thought one night, "Why not combine the two?" Thats usually how most good recipes are created. You just throw together food that you enjoy eating and keep your fingers crossed that it works! Today I give you this absolutely delicious Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie. It's made from a chicken pot pie filling that is layered with tater tots and cheese then baked. This was a huge hit with us!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Nope! These can go in frozen just like you would if you were making a regular Tater Tot Casserole.
If you would rather have this with beef, that should work. Cook and crumble the ground beef and then remove from pan. Use the grease from the beef instead of the butter to help make the cream sauce. Also maybe use beef stock instead of the chicken stock.
We are huge lovers of cheddar cheese so that is what is always my default. But you can use any of your favorite cheeses. Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, Mexican Blend, etc. all should work fine.
If you like the potato rounds better than tater tots, I say go for it! You will still have the same delicious outcome.
It makes the recipe easier, but you can use any cooked and shredded chicken that you like. This is a wonderful recipe for leftover chicken.
In full disclosure, I have not tried to freeze this yet. However, it seems like it should be okay to freeze. Just make sure you wrap it up really well to protect it from freezer burn.
This can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat just stick it in the microwave until heated through.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- all-purpose flour
- chicken stock
- paprika (optional)
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- cream cheese
- frozen mixed vegetables
- rotisserie chicken
- frozen tater tots
- cheddar cheese
- parsley, for garnish
HOW TO MAKE TATER TOT CHICKEN POT PIE:
Heat the oven to 400F degrees and grease a 9"x 13" baking dish, set aside. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add in the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions are softened and translucent. Stir in the seasonings and cook for another minute until fragrant. Next, add in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the flour reaches a very light golden brown color. Pour the chicken stock into the flour and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat down and allow it to simmer, stirring frequently for another 1-2 minutes until the mixture has thickened and is well combined.
Remove from the heat and mix in the cream cheese cubes and milk until well blended.
Toss in the vegetables and shredded chicken and stir to coat.
Spread the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Place tater tots in a single layer on top of the chicken mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until the tater tots are cooked through and a golden brown color.
Spread a layer of the shredded cheese over the top of the tater tots.
Bake for another 4-5 minutes to melt the cheese, or place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes for a crispier cheese topping.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces full fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature and cubed
- ¼ cup milk
- 10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees and spray a 9"x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add in the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions are softened and translucent.
- Next, stir in the flour and keep stirring while it cooks for 1-2 minutes
- Pour the chicken stock into the flour mixture along with all of the seasonings and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and allow the mixture to simmer. Stirring frequently for another 1-2 minutes until the mixture has thickened and is well combined.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the cream cheese cubes and milk until well blended.
- Toss in the vegetables and shredded chicken and stir to coat.
- Spread the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Place tater tots in a single layer on top of the chicken mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until the tater tots are cooked through and a golden brown color.
- Finally, sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the top of the tater tots.
- Bake for another 4-5 minutes for the cheese to melt (or place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes for a crispier cheese topping.)
- Garnish with chopped parsley (optional)and serve immediately.
- Tater tots do not need to be defrosted for this.
- Use your favorite cheese, we like cheddar.
- You can use any shredded cooked chicken you'd like.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.