Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cake starts with a yummy chocolate boxed cake mix and topped with the most amazing Reese's peanut butter frosting!
CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
This Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cake was inspired by a recent visit to a local country restaurant. They make all their desserts in-house and always have some fun little dessert to share. This time it was chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. Let's just say we all fell in love and I knew I had to re-create this recipe with my own twist!
TIPS FOR MAKING REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER CUP CAKE:
I like to use margarine in the frosting for this recipe for one main reason. Because of the high vegetable oil content in margarine, I found it helps to keep this frosting soft and creamy. But if you are just totally adverse to using margarine, please feel free to use real butter. Also, if you cannot find the Reese's peanut butter, just use your favorite creamy peanut butter, it will still come out amazing!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- chocolate cake mix
- (ingredients needed to make cake; eggs, oil and water)
- Reese's creamy peanut butter
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER CAKE:
Prepare cake as directed on the back of the box. Then let it cool completely.
Once cake has cooled, begin making frosting. In a mixing bowl, combine softened margarine and peanut butter.
Mix well until combined. Those of you using a stand mixer, make sure you scrape down the sides of your bowl occasionally.
Add in powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Then add in milk and vanilla extract. Mix again until combined.
Then start frosting the cake. This frosting is so fluffy and creamy.
Just be gentle when frosting the cake. Try not to yank it across your moist cake. Be soft-handed and spread gently.
Then slice up and serve. This works well as cupcakes too!
CRAVING MORE DESSERT RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cake (+Video)
- 15.25 ounce box chocolate cake mix
- ingredients needed to make cake mix; eggs, oil and water
- ½ cup (1 stick) margarine, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup Reese's creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare cake as directed on the back of the box. Let it cool completely.
- Once cake has cooled, begin making frosting. In a mixing bowl, combine softened margarine and peanut butter. Mix until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Then add in milk and vanilla extract. Mix again until combined.
- Then start frosting the cake. Try not to yank it across your moist cake. Be soft handed and lightly spread.
- Slice and serve.
- Top slices with mini Reese’s peanut butter cups.
- Want to make your chocolate cake from scratch? Try using my One Bowl Chocolate Cake Recipe.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Originally published: February 2013
Updated & republished: August 2019