Pizza Soup is a hearty Italian-style soup full of flavors like sausage, pepperoni, green peppers and onions! Topped with cheese and croutons!
A FLAVORFUL PIZZA-INSPIRED SOUP
I love those kinds of soups that are hearty and packed full of flavor so they are not only filling but they warm your bones on cold days. Well, this is one of those soups! I am a soup and salad person all the way. If you love these hearty soups like I do, then you are gonna LOVE this pizza soup! Oh my word, this turned out so incredibly yummy. It really has all the flavors of your favorite pizza, packed into a soup.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
It’s good add just a touch of sweetness to tomato-based soups and sauces. It helps balance out the acidity of the tomatoes without making actually making it sweet at all.
We enjoy shredded mozzarella cheese and garlic croutons. But feel free to add in your favorite pizza toppings: mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and some fresh basil would be delicious.
Absolutely! A 26 ounce jar or later should work.
Leftover soup can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This soup can also be frozen. Store in a covered freezer container or freezer-safe bag. The soup will keep frozen for 3 months.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- Italian pork sausage
- green pepper
- pizza sauce
- Italian seasoning
- garlic powder
- dried basil
- dried rosemary
HOW TO MAKE PIZZA SOUP:
In a large pot, over medium heat, brown and crumble sausage along with chopped green pepper and onion. I always season the meat with a little salt and pepper too. Once browned, drain any excess grease.
Add in both jars (or cans – whatever you have) of pizza sauce and water.
Add in spices and seasonings (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, basil, rosemary, salt, pepper and sugar.)
Stir in pepperoni and chopped tomatoes. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to low and allow it to simmer for just about 10 minutes.
But we love to add a bit of shredded mozzarella cheese and croutons to the top. That part is totally optional. This is such a flavorful soup all on it’s own.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
The Best Pizza Soup (+Video)
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup green pepper chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) jars or cans pizza sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) package pepperoni chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Garnish: shredded mozzarella cheese and croutons
- In a large pot, over medium heat, brown and crumble sausage along with chopped green pepper and onion.
- Season the meat with a little salt and pepper too. Once browned, drain any excess grease.
- Add in both jars (cans) of pizza sauce and water then stir.
- Add in spices, seasonings and sugar (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, basil, rosemary, salt & pepper) along with the pepperoni and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to low and allow it to simmer for just about 10 minutes.
- Then serve. Garnish with some shredded mozzarella cheese and croutons.
- Feel free to add in your favorite pizza toppings to this soup to make it the way your family will love. Mushrooms and olives would be great additions!
- Ground beef can be used instead of sausage.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: October 2013
Updated and republished: January 2021