Then stir in water.
Add in spices and seasonings (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, basil, rosemary, salt & pepper.)
Stir in sugar. Note: I like to add just a touch of sweetness to tomato-based soups and sauces. I think it helps balance out the acidity of the tomatoes without making actually making it sweet at all.
- 1 lb Italian pork sausage
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 15 oz jars or cans pizza sauce
- 1 6 oz package pepperoni chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: shredded mozzarella cheese and croutons
- In a large pot, over medium heat, brown and crumble sausage along with chopped green pepper and onion.
- Season the meat with a little salt and pepper too.
- Once browned, drain any excess grease.
- Add in both jars (cans) of pizza sauce and water then stir.
- Add in spices, seasonings and sugar (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, basil, rosemary, salt & pepper).
- Stir in pepperoni and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to low and allow it to simmer for just about 10 minutes.
- Then serve.
- Garnish with some shredded mozzarella cheese and croutons.