Stir in sugar. Note: I like to add just a touch of sweetness to tomato-based soups and sauces. I think it helps balance out the acidity of the tomatoes without making actually making it sweet at all.
- 1 lb Italian pork sausage
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 15 oz jars or cans pizza sauce
- 1 6 oz package pepperoni chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: shredded mozzarella cheese and croutons
- In a large pot, over medium heat, brown and crumble sausage along with chopped green pepper and onion.
- Season the meat with a little salt and pepper too.
- Once browned, drain any excess grease.
- Add in both jars (cans) of pizza sauce and water then stir.
- Add in spices, seasonings and sugar (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, basil, rosemary, salt & pepper).
- Stir in pepperoni and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to low and allow it to simmer for just about 10 minutes.
- Then serve.
- Garnish with some shredded mozzarella cheese and croutons.
Feel free to add in your favorite pizza toppings to this soup to make it the way your family will love. Mushrooms and olives would be great additions!