Delicious Lemon Brownies are the perfect spring or summertime treat. Ready in under a half hour, these dessert bars are perfect for any occasion!
A BEAUTIFUL AND DELICIOUS TWIST ON CLASSIC BROWNIES
Calling all my lemon lovers, these Lemon Brownies are for you! These luscious treats are the perfect texture and have just the right amount of tart flavor. Just like traditional brownies, these Lemon Brownie Bars are moist, dense, and full of fantastic flavor. You only need a handful of ingredients to make these simple treats. The sweet and soft, tangy glaze makes these Lemon Bars the perfect dessert to snack on if you are a lemon lover like me!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Just like chocolate brownies, these lemon ones are dense and moist. They aren’t cakey. If you’re wanting cake-y bars, you’ll need to add a an additional leavening agent like baking powder to get that rise and airiness in them.
While I imagine you could ditch the glaze, I find that it really takes these bars up a notch. The lemon citrus flavor in it really makes them pop too. You could change the lemon extract to a different extract if desired or swap it out for something thicker if desired.
You can add whatever you like with these bars. Personally, I think adding some poppy seeds would be great. They are light, easy and would still let the lemon flavor shine through. You could also try some mini baking chips if desired or white chocolate chips.
Absolutely! If you love Lemon Brownie bars as much as we do, then you’re going to want to make a double batch 🙂
I suggest using a 9×13-inch baking pan and bake them that way. You’ll need to increase the baking time though.
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
Yes, these flavored brownies can be frozen to keep longer. I like to flash freeze them before transferring them to a freezer safe container and freezing for up to 3 months.
Let them thaw in the fridge overnight before eating again. If you flash freeze them, you can just grab one or two, or a handful to enjoy later without having to thaw the whole leftover batch.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- lemon cake mix
- unsalted butter
- lemon extract
- powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE LEMON BROWNIES:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare an 8×8 pan by spraying generously with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl. Mix the cake mix, melted butter, and lemon extract.
Add in eggs. Mix until just combined, the mixture will be thick!
Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, lemon extract, and milk in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Pour over the cooled brownies and smooth evenly.
Cut into 9 pieces and serve!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
- 15.25 ounce box lemon cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 ½ Tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and prepare an 8×8-inch baking pan by spraying generously with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl. Mix the15.25 ounce box lemon cake mix, 2 large eggs, 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and 1 teaspoon lemon extract. Mix until just combined, the mixture will be thick!
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, whisk together ¾ cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon extract and 1 ½ Tablespoons milk in a medium bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour over the cooled brownies and smooth evenly.
- Cut into 9 pieces and serve!
- You can add other mix ins if desired. My top choice would be poppy seeds.
- The glaze completes the brownies in my opinion, but you can change it up or omit it altogether.
- These are dense brownies not cake like ones.
- You can make a double batch if desired.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.