This Instant Pot Hamburger Helper Stroganoff is the homemade version of the popular box dinner mix. Still easy to make with simple and tasty ingredients!
A DELICIOUS INSTANT POT FAMILY DINNER
Growing up, Hamburger Helper was one of our favorite easy-to-prepare box mixes that made a quick and easy dinnertime meal. Well how about making it homemade, with more flavor and more helpings and in the instant pot? This Instant Pot Hamburger Helper is a delicious meal that I promise your whole family will love! Ground Beef Stroganoff is one of my favorite dishes and I make it all the time. The instant pot makes it quick with simple ingredients and with less mess! If you want a fun, flavorful meal to serve, then you have to make this Instant Pot Hamburger Helper Stroganoff recipe!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
I like to use a leaner ground beef, either an 80/20 or 85/15 works best, so it reduces the grease. If you aren't familiar, the numbers are just a ratio of meat to fat. So I used ground beef that was 80% meat and 20% fat.
I've always made stroganoff with egg noodles. Any smaller noodle should work with this recipe as long as you are using the same amount as called for in the recipe.
Yes, if you don't have fresh thyme or cannot find it, you can substitute 1 Tablespoon of fresh for 1 teaspoon of dried. Or you can just leave it out - up to you.
This means when the time is done, the instant pot will stop cooking and will naturally release the pressure through the valve. You will want to do this for 5 minutes then release the pressure manually after that by flipping the steam release knob.
This is completely optional but nutmeg is one of those flavors that you don't really taste but adds a little something special to take the flavor over the top. No one will quite be able to put their finger on what it is but they'll know this stroganoff tastes amazing!
Yes! Brown the meat with onion and garlic. Drain grease. Add all the other ingredients (minus the noodles) and stir well. Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Once sauce is throughly heated then add egg noodles and serve.
If stored in an airtight container or ziptop bag in the refrigerator, this Stroganoff Recipe should keep for up to 3-4 days. You can also freeze leftovers as well. To do this, allow the stroganoff to cool and then place in a freezer bag. This should keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To defrost remove to refrigerator overnight. Reheat in the microwave until heated through.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- yellow onion
- worcestershire sauce
- dijon mustard
- beef broth
- cream of mushroom soup
- egg noodles
- sour cream
- fresh thyme
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT HAMBURGER HELPER STROGANOFF:
Sauté ground beef on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, or until browned. Remove excess grease if more than a few tablespoons. Add onion and dry seasonings. Continue to saute until onions are translucent, about 2 mins.
Stir in minced garlic, worcestershire sauce and mustard, stir and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes.
Pour in beef broth and cream of mushroom soup.
Add noodles. Stir to combine. Pressure cook on high for 14 minutes.Natural release 5 minutes, quick release the rest of the pressure.
Add sour cream.
Stir mixture thoroughly.
Garnish with fresh thyme (optional.)
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
- STOVE TOP HOMEMADE HAMBURGER HELPER
- GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF
- HOLLY'S HOMEMADE BEEF STROGANOFF
- CROCK POT MEATBALL STROGANOFF
- S.O.S. HAMBURGER GRAVY
- CROCK POT BEEF AND NOODLES
- CROCK POT BEEF TIPS AND GRAVY
- PHILLY CHEESESTEAK CASSEROLE RECIPE
- AMISH COUNTRY CASSEROLE
INSTANT POT HAMBURGER HELPER STROGANOFF
- 1 lb ground beef 80/20
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg optional
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz egg noodles
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme optional
- On the sauté setting on the instant pot, brown and crumble ground beef on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Remove excess grease if more than a few tablespoons. Add onion and dry seasonings. Continue to saute until onions are translucent, about 2 mins.
- Stir in minced garlic, worcestershire sauce and mustard, stir and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in beef broth, cream of mushroom soup and noodles. Stir to combine.
- Pressure cook on high for 14 minutes.Natural release 5 minutes, quick release the rest of the pressure.
- Add sour cream, stir thoroughly.
- Garnish with fresh thyme.
- Try to use at least 80/20 or 85/15 ground beef to help reduce grease.
- If you don't have or can't find fresh thyme you can substitute with 1 teaspoon dried thyme.
- You should be able to substitute with any smaller noodles as long as it is the same amount called for in recipe.
- This can be frozen for up to 3 months, see my tips above.
- To make on the stovetop: Brown the meat with onion and garlic. Drain grease. Add all the other ingredients (minus the noodles) and stir well. Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Once sauce is throughly heated then add egg noodles and serve.