This Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe is delicious comfort food with a creamy, cheesy sauce. It is an easy dinner made all in one pot!
CREAMY VERSION OF HAMBURGER HELPER
I'm sharing another one pot wonder meal today. I will freely share that I loved Hamburger Helper as a kid and even as a young adult. I ate it with wild abandon. Apparently at some point it became taboo to admit that you made food from a box. Whatever. I enjoyed it. I think something shifts in your tastebuds though as you get older. You just want some more flavor and seasoning. So, enter a homemade version (that is still very simple!)
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS ONE POT MEAL:
- Obviously, you can season this to taste. If you want to add a bit of spice, add in some red pepper flakes.
- To mix it up, try making with ground Italian sausage instead of ground beef.
- You do not need to boil the elbow macaroni first. This really is a one pot meal.
- Try adding in some diced tomatoes to change it up from time to time!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- salt & pepper
- elbow macaroni
- chicken broth
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY HOMEMADE HAMBURGER HELPER MEAL:
Cook and crumble the ground beef in a medium pot on medium high heat until no pink is left. Drain excess grease.
Lower heat and add macaroni, seasonings, ketchup, mustard, and broth. Stir well and cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until macaroni is cooked.
Turn off heat and stir in sour cream and cheese. Stir well to combine.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
EASY CHEESY MACARONI SKILLET
FAMILY-FRIENDLY TACO MACARONI & CHEESE
GROUND BEEF EGG NOODLE CASSEROLE
CROCK POT TACO PASTA
THE BEST TUNA MACARONI SALAD
HAMBURGER STEAKS AND GRAVY
EASY SKILLET LASAGNA DINNER
HAMBURGER RAMEN NOODLE SKILLET SUPPER
HOMEMADE HAMBURGER HELPER
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups elbow macaroni
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- Over medium heat, cook and crumble ground beef in a large pan until no longer pink.
- Lower heat and add macaroni, seasonings, ketchup, mustard, and broth
- Stir well. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until macaroni is cooked.
- Turn off heat then stir in sour cream and cheese.
- Serve and enjoy! Sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired.