These Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes are so incredibly flavorful and easy to make! You don't even need to peel the potatoes first!
A QUICK MASHED POTATOES RECIPE
I am continuing on my journey in learning how to navigate my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. It has been a bit of a learning curve. I have avoided learning how to use it because it seemed like it would be another fad appliance. However, after lots of emails and messages on social media from you fine folks, I have been really trying to make friends with the electric pressure cooker. And so I made these delicious Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes!
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU GET A 'BURN' NOTICE:
So far I have learned the following: the Instant Pot brand electric pressure cooker has a "Burn" notice that pops up if you don't have enough liquid in the pressure cooker and the pot is sensing that whatever is in it is burning and it cannot come up to pressure. This is a safety feature. When this happens, you have to switch the valve to "venting" and release any steam in the pot. You'll hear a lot of folks refer to this as a "Quick Release". Then, unlock and remove the lid. Using a wooden spatula, you'll need to scrape the bottom of the pot. Then you have to add a bit more liquid and try it all over again until you have enough liquid to make the pot happy. I learned that lesson the hard way when making my Cubed Steak and Gravy recipe for the first time in an Instant Pot.
USING THE STEAM SETTING:
So for this recipe, I got familiar with the "steam" setting on the Instant Pot. What I really liked about cooking the Little Potatoes this way is they become infused with the flavor of whatever they are cooked in. So I used chicken broth instead of water. The potatoes really soaked up that flavor because their skins are thin and it took these mashed potatoes to a whole other level! The bonus in using these Little Potatoes is they are already pre-washed. So I don't have any peeling or dicing to deal with. Just pop them into the Instant Pot straight outta the bag!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- chicken broth
- little potatoes
- salted butter
- cream cheese
- minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- dried chives (optional)
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT GARLIC MASHED POTATOES:
Pour all of the chicken broth into the bottom of a 6-quart Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker).
Add in Little Potatoes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Cook on the steam setting for 12 minutes. Then carefully turn the valve to "Venting" for quick release of the steam. Using oven mitts, remove the insert and drain broth.
Place potatoes back into the pot. Add in the butter, cream cheese, milk and garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes and combine all the ingredients.
If you need to thin out the potatoes a bit more to your liking, just add in a little milk at a time and stir.
Then dig in!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 32 ounce carton chicken broth
- 3 pounds little potatoes (baby potatoes)
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter
- ½ block (4 ounces) cream cheese
- ½ cup milk
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons dried chives, optional
- Pour all of the chicken broth into the bottom of a 6-quart Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker).
- Add in potatoes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook on the steam setting for 12 minutes. Carefully turn the valve to "Venting" and quickly release the steam. Using oven mitts, remove the insert and drain the broth.
- Place potatoes back into the pot. Add in the butter, cream cheese, milk and garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes and combine all the ingredients.
- If you need to thin out the potatoes a bit more to your liking, just add in a little milk at a time and stir.
- Then dig in!
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.