If you love easy, then this homemade Crock Pot Vegetable Soup is for you! Simple ingredients help create this filling and flavorful soup.
A VEGGIE FILLED CROCK POT SOUP
I love my crock pot all year long, it doesn't matter the season - give me a crock pot and I can make anything! This Crock Pot Vegetable Soup is one of my favorites when I want a hearty soup that isn't too "heavy". It is a simple to prepare soup with serious flavor and loaded with ALL the vegetables. The perfect soup to make on a cold weather day when you are craving something extra comforting. Vegetable soup is also a great way to use up all those bags of vegetables that have been hanging out in your freezer.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Yes. But keep in mind frozen vegetables are frozen at the peak of freshness so they really are the perfect vegetable to use (especially if they aren't in season).
If you are choosing to use all fresh vegetables, you will probably have to adjust cooking time. Potatoes take the longest to cook, so if you are using them, you should continue to cook on high for 6 to 7 hours. I haven't tested it with only fresh vegetables so you'll have to play the timing by ear.
Absolutely. You could add a pound of ground beef that has been cooked and drained of its fat. Add it in when you add all of the other vegetables.
Just leave it out. I understand that it's not an easy to find in areas outside of the south. It will still be tasty without it.
The soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator where it will keep for up to 3-4 days. This can also be frozen, what we like to do is place cooled soup in freezer bags and lay them flat in the freezer. These should keep for up to 6 months. Let defrost in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove or in microwave.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- frozen mixed vegetables
- frozen sliced carrots
- frozen peas
- frozen corn
- diced tomatoes
- tomatoes and okra
- vegetable broth
- russet potato
- bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- dried basil
- dried oregano
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP:
In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onions, and celery. Cook until onions are translucent. Add in minced garlic for about 30 seconds and remove from heat.
Place all veggies in a large crockpot.
Cover with vegetable broth.
Add 2 bay leaves on top and add salt, pepper, dried basil, and oregano.
Cook on high, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 7 hours, or until potatoes are softened. Add additional salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle into bowls and serve warm. Top with freshly chopped parsley if desired.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Crock Pot Vegetable Soup
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 2-3 celery stalks finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15 ounce can tomatoes and okra, undrained
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 large russet potato peeled and diced into small cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Chopped parsley optional
- In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onions, and celery. Cook until onions are translucent. Add in minced garlic for about 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- Place all veggies in a large crockpot.
- Cover with vegetable broth.
- Add 2 bay leaves on top and add salt, pepper, dried basil, and oregano.
- Cook on high, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 7 hours, or until potatoes are softened. Add additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve warm.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley if desired.
- You can swap out chicken broth for the vegetable broth.
- If you want a meat aspect you can added cooked and drained ground beef, see my tips above.
- This can be frozen.
- You can use fresh vegetables in place of frozen.
- If you can't find canned tomatoes and okra, just leave it out of the recipe.