Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Spice Cake
This Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Spice Cake is a simple dessert that’s made with chocolate chips, spice cake mix and a cream cheese swirl filling!
AN EASY FALL-INSPIRED CAKE RECIPE
This cake is a super simple autumn inspired cake. But let’s be honest, this is delicious anytime of year! All you need is just a few ingredients to make the most moist and delicious cake! We like to top it with a drizzle of sweetened condensed milk but it’s delicious all by itself!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
This will help the cream cheese from being lumpy in the batter.
You can really use any flavor chocolate chip you enjoy. Dark chocolate, white chocolate or even cinnamon chips!
No. This cake is a great cake just as it is. You could leave it plain. Or you could sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top or maybe just a dollop of Cool Whip on there. You could even make up a simple icing made with powdered sugar and milk.
Yes! This can be made with vanilla, chocolate or even lemon cake mixes!
Yes. Because of the cream cheese in the batter, it needs to be kept refrigerated.
I haven’t tested it. In theory it should work but the cream cheese won’t swirl as well in the batter. You’d also have make sure your pan is well greased so it doesn’t stick
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- spice cake mix
- (ingredients needed to make cake: eggs, oil and water)
- cream cheese
- egg white
- mini chocolate chips (optional)
- sweetened condensed milk
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP CREAM CHEESE SPICE CAKE:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick flour cooking spray. Combine spice cake mix with ingredients called for on back of box.
Pour cake spice cake mix into bottom of baking dish. In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar and egg white (mixture will be thick).
Dollop mixture over spice cake mix.
Using a butter knife, make swirl patterns (sort of in a figure 8 pattern).
Sprinkle chocolate chips over batter.
Bake for about 35-40 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Now for the fun part! You can eat this cake just as it is – but- if you want to take it up a notch, then you gotta go with this last step. Pour the sweetened condensed milk and then pour it over the warm cake.
Then dig in!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Originally published: October 2011
Updated & republished: January 2023
Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Spice Cake
- 15.25 ounce box spice cake mix
- ingredients needed to make cake mix: eggs, oil & water
- 8 ounce block cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick flour cooking spray.
- Combine spice cake mix with ingredients called for on back of box.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar and egg white (mixture will be thick).
- Dollop cream cheese mixture evenly over cake batter.
- Using a butter knife, make swirl patterns (sort of in a figure 8 pattern).
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips evenly over batter.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Open can of sweetened condensed milk then drizzle it on top of the slightly warm cake.
- You could use white chocolate chips or cinnamon chips in this as well.
- Want to make a pumpkin version? Just add one can of pumpkin puree to the batter.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Does the cake need to be kept in the fridge.
Diana, yes it does because of the cream cheese.
Can I make this in a Bundt pan?
So yummy, so good. My husband loves it – 5 stars!
Yay!! Thank you for coming back to leave a review!
I recently thought of a poke cake that is similar to this one: you could take a spice cake mix made with a can of pumpkin, poke holes, spread cheesecake pudding on top, and then sprinkle graham cracker, gingersnap or snickerdoodle cookie crumbs
Looks so good! Think I might add apples to it since my apple tree is exploding
your site makes me soooooo hungry! love, love, love it!