These Chicken Philly Sandwiches are made with perfectly seasoned diced chicken tenders with melted provolone cheese on a super soft sub roll!
HOMEMADE CHICKEN PHILLY SANDWICHES
This is another one of our favorite suppers. I make these pretty often because they are easy and we can jazz them up anyway we like them. My husband is kind of a picky eater so his sandwich is pretty basic: chicken, cheese and mayo. I, on the other hand, like mine with everything: onions, peppers, and lettuce. I'm going to give you the basic recipe here but I definitely suggest you add anything you like to make them suitable for your family's taste.
TIPS FOR MAKING YOUR OWN PHILLY CHICKEN SANDWICHES:
Suggested toppings: Lettuce and tomato
Other cheese choices: monterey jack or mozzarella
Other ingredients: Bacon,mushrooms, green, red and yellow peppers are all excellent additions to this sandwich
This makes two (fairly big) subs. Use smaller rolls, and you'll probably get about 3-4 sandwiches out of this recipe.
Don't skip on the mayonnaise. Real mayonnaise takes these from good to amazing!
Find a really good, soft sub roll. This recipe doesn't use a lot of ingredients so it's important you make all the ingredients count. If you can find brioche sub rolls - use those!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- salted butter
- canola oil
- fresh chicken tenders
- lemon pepper seasoning
- cajun seasoning
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- provolone cheese
- soft sub rolls
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN PHILLY SANDWICHES:
Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons oil in a pan (medium high heat.)
While waiting for the butter to melt, season chicken with lemon pepper, cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Make sure all diced chicken pieces get seasoning on them. Once the butter has melted in pan, add chicken and onions. As the chicken cooks, be sure to move it around and maybe break it up a bit if you diced your chicken pieces large.
Cook for about 8 minutes on medium heat. I like to take a piece out and test for seasoning right before putting the cheese on. You may want to add little more salt or pepper at this point. Place cheese slices on top of chicken to melt (use as little or as much as you like.)
Slather mayo on both sides of the soft sub rolls. Don’t skimp on the mayo – it really adds to the flavor of this dish.
Scoop up chicken, onion and cheese mixture onto bun. Serve with fries or chips and enjoy.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
HOMEMADE CHICKEN PHILLY SANDWICHES
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound fresh chicken tenders, diced into chunks
- 2-½ teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoon cajun seasoning
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ onion, diced
- 2-3 slices provolone cheese
- 2 soft sub rolls
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Season diced chicken with lemon pepper, cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Make sure all sides of the chicken pieces get seasoning on them.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons oil in a pan (medium high heat).
- Once the butter has melted in pan, add chicken and onions.
- As the chicken cooks, be sure to move it around and break it up a bit.
- Cook for about 8 minutes on medium heat.
- Lower heat and place slices of cheese on chicken to melt. You may need to put a cover on your pan to help the cheese along with melting.
- Slather the sub rolls with lots of mayo on both sides of roll.
- Scoop up chicken, onion and cheese mixture onto bun. Then serve!
- Serve with fries or chips and enjoy.
- Suggested toppings: Lettuce and tomato
- Other cheese choices: monterey jack or mozzarella
- Other ingredients: Bacon, mushrooms. green, red and yellow peppers are all excellent additions to this sandwich
Originally published: February 2011
Updated & republished: March 2020