Y’all, I just need a moment here to give thanks to God for bacon. And cheese. And tater tots. I’m not even kidding. I am so thankful for food that not only nourishes our bodies but also tastes absolutely amazing! It doesn’t have to taste good to keep us alive – but dang it – it sure is pretty amazing that it does! This recipe I am sharing today is so over-the-top awesome, I am almost having a hard time describing the awesomeness. Other than to say – it’s AWESOME! (I thought the ALL CAPS would help express my huge emotion here.)
Layers of flavor
This casserole (like most casseroles) is a whole meal in one. You have a layer of tater tots on the bottom (and don’t even tell me you don’t love tater tots!) followed by a layer of rotisserie chicken that is topped with the most yummy cream cheese mixture and all of that is finished off with melted cheese, bacon and green onions (ya know, to be healthy.) 😉 Make it. Today. Then thank me later!
1 (2 lb.) bag frozen tater tots
2 (8 oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 cups Mexican shredded cheese, divided use
6 green onions, sliced
6 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and diced
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided use
1 family size rotisserie chicken, meat removed and diced into chunks
Preheat oven to 425f degrees. Spread tater tots into the bottom a 9 x 13″ baking dish. Bake tater tots for about 15 minutes.While tater tots are cooking, in a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese and sour cream. Season with garlic salt and pepper. Stir in half the shredded cheese, half the green onions, diced jalapeño peppers and half the cooked bacon until combined well.
Once the tater tots are cooked, remove from the oven (but don’t turn the oven off.) Spread diced chicken on top of the cooked tater tots.
Jalapeno Popper Tater Tot Chicken Casserole
- 1 2 lb bag frozen tater tots
- 2 8 oz blocks cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups Mexican shredded cheese divided use
- 6 green onions sliced
- 6 jalapeno peppers seeds removed and diced
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled, divided use
- 1 family size rotisserie chicken meat removed and diced into chunks
- Preheat oven to 425f degrees.
- Spread tater tots into the bottom a 9 x 13" baking dish. Bake tater tots for about 15 minutes.
- While tater tots are cooking, in a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese and sour cream. Season with garlic salt and pepper. Stir in half the shredded cheese,half the green onions, diced jalapeño peppers and half the cooked bacon until combined well.
- Once the tater tots are cooked, remove from the oven (but don't turn the oven off.) Spread diced chicken on top of the cooked tater tots.
- Then layer the cream cheese mixture on top of the chicken. Just do your best to spread it out.
- Sprinkle the top with the rest of the shredded cheese, green onions and bacon.
- Cook, uncovered, for about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Then dig in! Serve with a salad.