This easy Homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler has a thick strawberry rhubarb filling and is topped with a simple, crispy oat topping.
STRAWBERRY RHUBARB COBBLER/CRISP
I have been meaning to share this recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler for a while. Typically, strawberry season and rhubarb season run hand-in-hand. In most parts, the prime season for this fruit and vegetable is between April and June. I was surprised to learn that rhubarb is actually a vegetable. I don't think I have ever treated it as a veggie. I've always eaten it in sweetened desserts.
WHAT DOES RHUBARB TASTE LIKE?
Rhubarb actually tastes pretty similar to green apples. It has a slightly tart taste. So, you can actually use it as a pretty acceptable substitute in those recipes where it calls for a green, tart apple. Most times, it works perfectly! This super simple Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler is topped with a slightly crunchy oatmeal crumble mixture. I added just a tad of cinnamon to the mixture to give it a bit more depth of flavor. It works really well with this recipe. If you want a super simple cobbler recipe, you gotta hop over and see my SKILLET CHERRY COBBLER! Also, my BANANA BREAD COBBLER is pretty spectacular too - ha!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- all-purpose flour
- rolled oats
- cold salted butter
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY RHUBARB COBBLER:
Blend together chopped rhubarb, strawberry, ½ cup sugar, cornstarch mixture and ¼ cup flour.
Pour into a buttered 10-12 inch oven-safe skillet, and heat over medium for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Set aside.
Stir 1 cup flour, rolled oats, sugar, cinnamon and water together, then cut in butter with a pastry cutter or two forks until you have a crumbly, slightly moist texture.
Sprinkle topping to cover the strawberry rhubarb filling, then bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
WANT MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
STRAWBERRY RHUBARB COBBLER
For the filling:
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- ¼ cup flour, optional for a thicker filling
For the topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 stick cold salted butter, cubed (8 tbsp)
- Blend together chopped rhubarb, strawberry, ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, and ¼ cup flour. Pour into a buttered 10-12 inch skillet, and heat over medium for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Set aside.
- Stir 1 cup flour, rolled oats, sugar, cinnamon and water together, then cut in butter with a pastry cutter or two forks until you have a crumbly, slightly moist texture.
- Sprinkle topping to cover your filling, then bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Originally published: July 2018
Updated & republished: May 2019