Hands down the Best Pimento Cheese recipe ever! A southern staple that is all about good cheese and the right combination of ingredients!
A DELICIOUS SOUTHERN CHEESE SPREAD
Nothing says “southern” quite like some delicious pimento cheese. It is simply my favorite snack in the world! So I spent a little time making sure I had this recipe just right. It is worth the effort to make it from scratch! Sit back, grab a glass of sweet iced tea and enjoy yourself one of the best southern treats there is!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT PIMENTO CHEESE:
In its’ simplest form, pimento cheese is made by combining shredded cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and diced pimentos (which are just a type of small sweet red peppers). Everyone has their own way of making it but that is the most basic recipe. It is typically used as a cracker spread or in a sandwich.
That’s a great question that doesn’t have a simple answer. Pimento cheese is now synonymous with the south but was actually invented in the New York. Southerners took the original pimIento cheese recipe and added mayonnaise and shredded cheddar cheese to make it their own. The first version of pimIento cheese was created in New York with just cream cheese and pimentos. Some think because of Georgia’s growing pimento industry in the early 1900’s, it became a natural fit for the region.
I like to use a mix of my favorite Colby with an Aged Cheddar Cheese. Aged Cheddar Cheese is not great for cooking but it is perfect for snacking or in non-heated dishes
Both actually. Southern Living says it should be spelled “Pimiento” and according to Webster’s Dictionary but the dictionary also lists “Pimento” as a variant name. So both are used interchangeably.
No. The oils will separate when you eventually defrost it and the texture becomes oily and not appetizing at all.
Pimento cheese is best eaten with 3 days after it is made. Store it covered in the refrigerator and do not freeze.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- cream cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- apple cider vinegar
- hot sauce (optional)
- ground mustard
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- diced pimento
- Colby Cheese
- sharp cheddar cheese
- green onion (optional)
HOW TO MAKE SOUTHERN PIMENTO CHEESE:
In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, sugar, dried mustard, salt and pepper.
Then stir in green onion (if using). Finally, stir in shredded cheese and drained pimientos until fully coated with mayonnaise mixture.
Cover with plastic wrap and put into the refrigerator to chill for at least 8 hours. This helps the flavors really come together.
Then dig in!
Serve on crackers or sandwiches or stir into grits (yum!)
CRAVING MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
Southern Pimento Cheese (+Video)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounce jar diced pimiento (drained well)
- 1 ½ cups shredded colby cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Optional: 2 Tablespoons sliced green onion
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, sugar, dried mustard, salt and pepper.
- Then stir in green onion (if using). Finally, stir in shredded cheese and drained pimientos until fully coated with mayonnaise mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put into the refrigerator to chill for at least 8 hours. This helps the flavors really come together.
- Then dig in! Serve on crackers or sandwiches or stir into grits (yum!)
- Keep leftovers refrigerated and enjoy within 3 days. Do not freeze.
- Use your favorite cheeses. Sharp cheddar cheese is the traditional cheese used to make pimento cheese.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.