Pancake Puppies are like sweet hush puppies made from pancake mix, then fried and dipped into a sweet icing. A super fun and easy dessert!
SWEET FRIED DOUGH BALLS
3 cups pancake mix (don't pack into measuring cup, just scoop and scrape off excess)
⅓ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
¾ cup milk
2 tbsp. oil (plus more for frying)
cinnamon sugar, icing, or maple syrup for dipping
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla or maple extract
HOW TO MAKE PANCAKE PUPPIES (STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS):
Then add in beaten eggs and 2 tablespoons of oil.
Give it a good stir.
PANCAKE PUPPIES (SWEET HUSH PUPPIES)
For the pancake puppies:
- 3 cups pancake mix (don't pack into measuring cup - just scoop and scrape off excess)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tbsp oil, plus more for frying
- cinnamon sugar
For dipping icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla or maple extract
- Pour several inches of oil into a deep saucepan. Begin heating it up to 375 degrees over medium-high heat.
- It's important to use a cooking thermometer to get it to the right temperature and not overheat the oil.
- In a large bowl, combine pancake mix, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, milk, beaten eggs and 2 tbsp. oil.
- Scoop batter up using a spoon or a small cookie scooper and drop into the hot oil.
- Three things to really remember when making these: Don't make them too big and don't let your oil get out of control hot. A generous teaspoon of the batter is enough. Don't try to cook too many at one time.
- Keep an eye on your oil temperature by using a cooking thermometer.
- Drop those puppies into the oil.
- Flip them over once during cooking so the get evenly brown on all sides.
- Small batches work best so you have a chance to flip them around as they cook.
- Continue with this process until they are all done.
- When they are finished frying, place them onto a paper towel lined tray to drain excess grease.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar as soon as they come out of oil.
- Or make icing to dip them in.
- To make the icing, stir together powdered sugar, milk and extract in a small bowl.
- Stir until smooth - then serve.