With just a few ingredients, these Instant Pot Southern Fried Apples make the perfect accompaniment to a main dish or a delectable and easy dessert!
A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN APPLE RECIPE
Fried Apples are a recipe that I have grown up with and have loved my whole life. They are super easy, tasty and a delicious way to use up some apples! Absolutely love eating these with pork chops or a baked ham. These Instant Pot Fried Apples come together in no time for a quick side dish or dessert. They come out perfectly spiced, sweet and tender. A tasty recipe that everyone will love! So if you have any extra apples hanging around, you should try this Instant Pot Fried Apple recipe!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
I prefer to use Granny Smith apples for this recipe. They are easy to find and hold up well to the cooking process. But other apples can be used such as Golden Delicious or Fuji. You will want a more tart apple since it will be added to a sweet mixture which will balance the flavors out well.
Yes absolutely! You should have enough room in your instant pot to double this recipe. The time shouldn't change too much but if you are worried just add a few more minutes onto you cooking time.
So you can use this recipe a few different ways. One way is as a dessert that you can top with various things such as whipped cream, ice cream or caramel sauce. This also goes really well as a side dish to pork. Pork and apples go really well together so you can serve them with pork chops, pork tenderloin and even an apple cider glazed ham.
This is a personal choice.Some people peel their apples and some do not. There is no right or wrong. At a lot of southern food restaurants, most places leave them on. If you choose to leave the skins on, they will be tender and there are actually a lot of nutrients in the skin. I peel mine because my husband isn't a fan of the peel but it is perfectly acceptable to leave it on.
These can be made on the stovetop. Add all of the ingredients to a pot (minus the apples) and whisk together well. Then add the apples and stir to coat. Cover and cook on low for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are softened and thickened.
Instant Pot Fried Apples can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator where they will last for up to 5 days. You can reheat in the microwave and serve.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- dark brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- water or apple juice
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT SOUTHERN FRIED APPLES:
Toss the green apples in the lemon juice in a large mixing bowl.
Dump into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Mix the water and cornstarch together until smooth and pour into the Instant Pot. Add the remaining ingredients on top of the apple slices.
Stir to combine and close the lid. Turn the steam valve to sealed.
Cook on manual high pressure for 2 minutes. After the 2 minutes are completed, turn the steam valve to quickly release the pressure. Remove the lid and carefully stir the apples. If the liquid needs to thicken, select the Saute feature and cook for another 2 minutes.
Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or over ice cream. Great served with various pork dishes too! Enjoy!
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
INSTANT POT SOUTHERN FRIED APPLES
- 5 large green apples cored and sliced (you can keep the skin on)
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water or apple juice
- Toss the green apples in the lemon juice in a large mixing bowl and dump into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Mix the water and cornstarch together until smooth and pour into the Instant Pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients on top of the apple slices.
- Stir to combine and close the lid. Turn the steam valve to sealed.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 2 minutes. After the 2 minutes are completed, turn the steam valve to quickly release the pressure.
- Remove the lid and carefully stir the apples. If the liquid needs to thicken, select the Saute feature and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or over ice cream. Great over your favorite pancakes or rolled up in a crepe too! Enjoy!
- Use your favorite apples, tart is best - we like to use Granny Smith.
- This is great as a dessert but also goes really well with various pork dishes.
- You can leave the skins or or remove them.