No-Bake Eclair Cake (+Video)
No-Bake Eclair Cake is a dessert that has layers of graham crackers, vanilla pudding, whipped topping and topped with chocolate frosting!
AN EASY LAYERED DESSERT
This Easy No-Bake Eclair Cake is not only simple to make but it is absolutely scrumptious. Absolutely no stovetop or oven is needed! The hardest part? Waiting to eat it! This is a great dessert for a crowd.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Graham crackers, instant vanilla pudding, whipped topping, milk and chocolate frosting. Only five ingredients and can be made in just a few minutes!
It’s really easy to switch up the flavors. You could use chocolate graham crackers and vanilla pudding. You could substitute the vanilla pudding with chocolate or cheesecake pudding. So many flavor combinations you can experiment with! I’ve seen folks use strawberry pudding with a strawberry frosting. Or a cheesecake pudding with a strawberry frosting. Lots of options here!
This dessert does not take long to prepare but it definitely needs time to set up. Make this the night before you actually need to serve it. It helps the graham crackers to soften and gives time for everything to set up.
No. Freezing eclair cake is not recommended. It does not defrost well and the texture becomes unappetizing.
This dessert can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- instant vanilla pudding
- whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- graham crackers
- chocolate frosting
HOW TO MAKE ECLAIR CAKE:
In a medium bowl, mix together the pudding mix, milk and Cool Whip.
In a 9×13-inch baking dish, arrange a single layer of graham cracker squares on the bottom. You may have to break them up a bit to get enough crackers to cover the bottom of your dish.
Spread half of the pudding mixture on top of the crackers. Layer another layer of graham crackers over the pudding mixture. Then layer the other half of the pudding mixture on top of crackers. Top with a final layer of graham crackers. Put plastic wrap over dish and put in fridge for about 30 min to an hour to allow pudding to set.
When pudding has set up, put the tub of chocolate frosting in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften slightly (remove lid and aluminum foil top before microwaving.) Take out and stir frosting. It should be easily spreadable now. Remove plastic wrap from dish and evenly spread chocolate frosting all over the top layer of graham crackers.
Place plastic wrap over top of dish and put back in fridge. Now, forget about this dessert until tomorrow. This dessert gets better over time. The graham crackers need time to soften up.
When ready to serve, slice in squares and enjoy cold!
CRAVING MORE DESSERTS?
Originally published: February 2011
Updated and republished: December 2021
No-Bake Eclair Cake (+Video)
- 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounce tub whipped topping, thawed (Cool Whip)
- 2 sleeves graham cracker squares (see notes below)
- 16 ounce container chocolate frosting
- In a medium bowl, mix together 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix, 3 cups milk and 8 ounce tub whipped topping, thawed.
- In an 9×13-inch baking dish, arrange a single layer of the 2 sleeves graham cracker squares on the bottom. You may have to break them up a bit to get enough crackers to cover the bottom of your dish.
- Spread half of the pudding mixture on top of the crackers.
- Layer another layer of graham crackers over the pudding mixture.
- Then layer the other half of the pudding mixture on top of crackers.
- Top with a final layer of graham crackers.
- Put plastic wrap over dish and put in fridge for about 30 min to an hour to allow pudding to set.
- When ready, put the 16 ounce container chocolate frosting (with the top removed) in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften (remove lid and aluminum foil top before microwaving).
- Take out and stir frosting. It should be easily spreadable now.
- Remove plastic wrap from dish and evenly spread chocolate frosting all over the top layer of graham crackers.
- Place plastic wrap over top of dish and put back in fridge and let it chill overnight.
- This dessert gets better over time. The graham crackers need plenty of time to soften up.
- When ready, slice and serve!
- You must use INSTANT pudding so be very careful when purchasing. The instant pudding is right near the cook and serve pudding. The cook and serve pudding will not work in this recipe.
- This dessert does not take long to prepare but it definitely needs lots of time to set up. Make this the night before you actually need to serve it. Try using chocolate graham crackers with white chocolate pudding!
- UPDATE: Since first sharing this recipe in 2011, it appears different brands put different amounts of graham crackers in each sleeve. Some brands are also making smaller sleeves so you don’t have to open a whole full sleeve. And some brands are also getting cheap and putting less graham crackers in a box. So, it is possible you will need more graham crackers than what I stated above. Be prepared to potentially use the entire box you purchased.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
I’d love to make this in my 12x 18 cake sheet pan. Think doubling the recipe would work?
It should I think. I haven’t personally tried it but it seems like it would work
For some reason that I don’t understand, my husband dislikes graham crackers, so I substitute vanilla wafers. It is delicious! I had not made this in years, but went to Walmart today to get ingredients; no Jello pudding to be had – only Walmart’s brand. I hope it tastes good and sets up as well.
You’ll have to come back and let me know how it turned out for you!
In a hurry I forgot to put the cool whip in with the pudding! Can I put it on top when ready to serve?
Easy to make and was really good. Everyone loved it!
This is wonderful if you use banana flavored pudding as well. You can add banana extract to vanilla. Kinda like bananas dipped in chocolate. Winner
Super good, and an easy recipe. Only thing, it takes more like 4 sleeves of graham crackers (I bought the Honey Maid family size box). Its a good dessert, easy and fast.
Since I’ve made it TWICE now – AND had to make a trip to the store the second time from a faulty memory – I wanted to set the record straight so as to save anyone else grief! IT TAKES EXACTLY THREE PACKS OF GRAHAM CRACKERS – MINUS ONE OR TWO BROKEN OFF PIECES, WHICH IS A FULL BOX IN MY AREA! I surely won’t forget next time and there will be MANY more next times! This is SO easy and SO GOOD!!!
Gotta love shrinkflation! It used to only take 2 sleeves because you got more in one sleeve. The person above said it took them 4. It could also be the brand used – store brands and name brands might all put slightly different amounts in each sleeve these days. Thanks for mentioning that and I’m SO happy you love this recipe!!
My Family loves it , i also slice banana and put it in the middle Delicious !!
I have made this recipe numerous times! Everyone loves it!
Can you freeze
No, it changes the texture of the ingredients.
It was very easy made the night before . It was a delightful dessert , I would make it again.
Have been making this delight for over 26 years for special occasions, and sometimes just for yums. I like to use the cinnamon accented grahams, as it breaks up the chocolate flavor a bit. Some in my family cannot tolerate the richness of the straight frosting topping to the little bit of cinnamon helps. Also, I melt the chocolate frosting and drizzle it on each layer. I usually make it three layers deep.
I’d like to add that only three to four times, in all the seasons and occasions I have made this dessert, has it set up the full three days in the fridge to “cure”. When I am home alone to let it do so…yummy stuff!
I have made this dessert many times over the years and everyone just loves it ! The only thing different I did was I used the French vanilla pudding and have used it ever since . So give it a try I know you will love it ! Enjoy and Happy Cooking !
This is delicious! So easy to make.it will be a regular around here. Our beach crowd is going to love this recipe!
I made this for my nephews today and they loved it. I made it early afternoon and served it around 8pm so the crackers had softened. The only thing is that it’s a bit too sweet for me. I think the next time I make it I’ll made a dark chocolate ganache and look for a pudding that’s not as sweet. Also, I bet it tastes great with fresh strawberries on the side.
is it OK to use cooked pudding if you don’t have instant pudding
I made this EASY cake EVERYONE LOVED IT ! Really delicious and what a pleasure that is is so quick and easy