This easy Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe is made with diced chicken breasts and a simple, homemade sweet and sour sauce!
A CHINESE TAKEOUT COPYCAT RECIPE
I love sweet and sour recipes so much that I have several variations here on my site. One of my most popular requests is for a slow cooker version. This recipe for Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken has the most flavorful homemade sauce. I think it's my new favorite!
TIPS FOR MAKING SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN:
- Want a bit more heat? Add some red chili flakes or a bit of sriracha sauce to the sauce mixture.
- This can also be made in the oven. Follow directions as shown below but instead of popping everything in the slow cooker, place it in a 9"x 13" baking dish and bake at 350f degrees for 45 minutes (stirring the mixture gently every 15 minutes for even coating.)
- If you love a lot of sauce, feel free to double the sauce recipe.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- soy sauce
- apple cider vinegar
- garlic powder
- ground ginger
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- red, orange & yellow bell peppers
- pineapple chunks
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN:
In a medium bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
Place the chicken pieces into a large ziploc bag with the cornstarch; seal and shake until the chicken is evenly coated.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and drain on paper towels. Add the diced bell peppers and pineapple chunks (with juice) into the bottom of a 5 quart (or larger) oval slow cooker. Place chicken into the slow cooker.
Pour the mixed sauce over the top of the chicken and vegetables; stir gently and cover.
Cook on low for about 3-4 hours (or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F degrees.)
Sprinkle with sesame seeds once the sweet and sour chicken has finished cooking.
Serve over cooked rice and garnish with sliced green onions.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
For the chicken:
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1" chunks
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 15 ounce can pineapple chunks in 100% juice (do not drain)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds for garnish
- 2 green onions, sliced for garnish
- cooked rice for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add the diced bell peppers and pineapple chunks (with juice) into the bottom of a 5 quart (or larger) oval slow cooker.
- Serve over cooked rice and garnish with sliced green onions.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.